Chapter Thirty-Five

*Warning! Mature themes are mentioned in this chapter such as bullying, mental health and rape. If these trigger/upset you, please do not continue reading after Kaden and Luna go to the lake for a swim. Skip the rest. It is not my intention to hurt/upset anybody, I have warned you beforehand. 

Chapter Thirty-Five – A Night Full of Secrets: Part 2.

I'm confused but decide to go along with it and wrap up in my coat and boots. We make our way down the stairs and I look up just in time to see Kaden grabbing hold of a basket. I had not even noticed that because of my mate using his speed to take me up to his room.

"We're having a picnic?!" I ask excitedly, bouncing on my toes before I realize something and freeze. "When did you prepare a basket?"

He bites his lip before smiling, a guilty look in his eyes. "I may have lied about taking a walk in the clearing."

My jaw drops before I sigh, nodding and wrapping my arm around his waist. He murmurs an apology, pressing a firm kiss to my forehead before pulling me out to the patio. At first, I think we are going to eat out here but then Kaden starts guiding me behind his house and into the forest that surrounds the place.

About halfway into the walk, Kaden stops and tells me to close my eyes. I immediately refuse, worrying about tripping over the multiple rocks, vines and fallen branches we have already come across. Eventually, he reassures me and I let him lead the way.

After a few minutes of walking, he tells me to open my eyes. I see that we have arrived at a clearing in the woods. I am in awe over how magical everything looks under the silver glow of the moonlight. There is a lake to our right with beautiful flowers growing around it that I saw when I was with Ajax.

But, that's not what I notice first.

My attention is fixated on the large blanket being held down by rocks placed at each corner. Battery operated string lights are weaved around the branches in the trees and lanterns are set on the ground with small candles burning away, providing us with a warm glow as light.

"Oh my god!" I gasp, turning to Kaden with a huge grin. "You did all this for me?"

He smiles and nods, gently leading me to the blanket. "Do you like it?"

"I love it!" I exclaim, taking a seat on the blanket. I glance up to the sky, marvelling at how I can see so many twinkling stars in the darkening sky. "It's beautiful here."

He hums in response before taking out the food he has packed for tonight. I accept the chicken wrap he hands to me, taking a bite as he passes me my drink. He pulls me close so that my side rests against his body and I happily lean my head on his shoulder.

"How did I get so lucky to have someone like you as my mate?" I muse, popping a grape in my mouth.

His chest vibrates as he laughs, pressing a lingering kiss to my cheek. "It's the other way around, Luna."

"Nope." I shake my head in refusal, taking a sip of my drink before speaking again. "How can I not be the lucky one when you do such cute things like this?"

"I want to make you happy, you deserve so much more." He murmurs gently, running his fingers through my hair.

"You do make me happy." I smile softly, leaning up and pressing a kiss to his jaw.