Thirteen: Death's Friend

I don't own Harry Potter; I'm just borrowing him for a little while.

Harry leaned against the heavy black door for a moment trying to compose himself before he slid to the floor and burst into a fit of giggles. The memory of Snape's surprise could fuel a patronus. Once he had regained a regular breathing rhythm he picked himself up from the floor and took in his new rooms.

The rooms were beautiful, truly meant for royalty. It was large and open, with a glass wall looking into the lake yet close enough to the surface that light filtered through it with small alcove. Small but bright green flame torches lit up the rest of the space. The bed was in the center of the room on the far wall atop of a raised dais. It was dressed in silky looking black sheets that had a greenish tint in the light. Lush plants hung from the ceiling, snaking down towards the floor, tended most likely by house elves as no witch or wizard had entered this room since Tom Riddle had left. The stone walls were offset by rich dark wood furniture that seemed to fit well in the oasis like setting of the room. A large pool like tub set in the floor was blocked of by a small half wall in the far corner with an accent water wall behind it. Harry set his trunk down at the end of the platform bed and moved to peruse his personal bathrooms.

They were done in black, white and silver, with a small white frosted stand-alone shower and toilet. The counter and sink were done in obsidian marble and stainless steel taps with snake accents. The towels set out were also done in black with silver threaded embroidery. Harry wandlessly and wordlessly summoned his toiletries and placed them out before moving back into his room.

He took his time setting out his things neatly, placing his muggle and magical school books on the waist high bookshelves before moving to put away his large amount of clothing and accessories. When he was finished he pulled his book of runes and settled himself in the small alcove under the window. He read for a time before setting his book aside and calling out quietly.

"Death?"

"Master?" asked Death appearing beside the alcove.

"I've decided," said Harry. Death placed his hand on Harry's shoulder. "I'm going to help him and bring him back properly this time, the way he was before." Death squeezed his shoulder and Harry set a hand on the skeletal hand and leaned into the surprisingly solid chest of the semi-corporal looking death. "Am I doing the right thing?" Harry asked. Death shifted Harry as he sat down in the small alcove and then settled him in his lap to lean once more into his chest.

"My child, doing the right thing is subjective rather than objective," Death rasped. "I will care for you as my master and my son even if you tear the earth to pieces." Harry smiled and snuggled back a little closer.

"Thank-you," Harry said closing his eyes. The room was silent but for the small trickling of the water accent.

"Do you think they would be proud of me?" Harry asked breaking the silence. Death took a minute to answer.

"Your mother yes, your father, perhaps not as much, but I believe he would still love you no matter what," Death answered.

"Thank-you for your honesty Death," Harry said.

"Death is always honest," Death rasped back.

"I know but thank-you anyway," said Harry snuggling back further and curling up in the smoky solid warmth of Death. Minutes later Harry was asleep and Death sighed slowly lifting his master up and moving towards the bed. The blankets and sheets slid open with a small flick of Death's finger and he set Harry down in the bed before tucking him in. Death ran his fingers slowly through Harry's hair before fading into nothingness. The green flamed torches flickered and went out and Harry slept peacefully.

Sorry it's a short one but I was very tired today. Hopefully it will be a better chapter next time.