Space Boy

{Requested}

         The sound of crickets chirping outside kept me wide awake while I tried to sleep, although my body ached for rest, my mind was racing. A part of me wanted to sleep, but my conscious told me to explore outside. I don't know why I was having so much trouble with falling asleep, I had been productive all day, I figured by now that I would've fallen asleep.

       I rolled to the other side of my bed and checked my phone that was charging on the nightstand, I turned it on and squinted when I was met with its blinding light.

12:30

     I turned my phone off and rolled onto my back, closing my eyes once more.I tried to will myself to sleep but I ended up getting up and out of bed anyways.

       I slid my sneakers on and grabbed a sweater, my pajamas consisting of an old orange camp shirt I had gotten two years ago and some black exercising shorts that I use more for sleeping than actually working out. Grabbing my phone off the nightstand, I shoved it in my pocket and snuck out of my room as quietly as I could.

      I don't know why but something inside me told me to go outside, a nagging feeling that felt as if I didn't listen, I would suffer the consequences of getting a migraine. So I listened and snuck out the front door of the house without waking my family.

        I walked out to the grassy front yard and looked up at the midnight sky, the stars never seemed to dim as they twinkled brightly down at me. I saw the faint colors of the milky way in the sky, a trail of fuchsia and violet mixed in with deep royal blue. Yet the persistent feeling wouldn't go away.

       I continued my way across the yard and past the white picket fence and onto the gravel road, the ground crunching beneath my sneakers. I continued to walk until I reached the barn where all our farm animals quietly grazed on their hay. I squeezed in between the two big doors and was met with a soft snort of one of the horses, I walked up to one of the stables and saw the grey gelding look at we with wide marble-like eyes and perked up ears, hay and shavings adorning his thick white mane. Snickering softly at the newfound visitor at such a late time at night.

        I smiled softly and continued my way through the barn, passing the plump pigs and a young heifer with its mother which shared a stall. I made it to the end of the structure and slid through the gate into the pasture of dewy grass and daisies.

       I didn't stop walking, my feet carried me where my mind told them to go. I was curious to why I felt this, perhaps it was an energy that drew me in. Was I going to get abducted by aliens? Maybe, that would've been a story worth telling rather than the one I'm living through now. My mind was in a haze, as if it was all fogged up in a thick, mind-controlling mist.

        I stopped suddenly, without being aware.

      I was in the middle of the endless pasture, miles of grass around me. I blinked put of my daze and gazed around, perplexed as to what brought me out here or why it happened.

       The atmosphere was still, not a breeze to drift the blades of grass, emptiness was heavily bestowed here. A feeling I had never endured settled at the pit of my stomach.

      It was... peaceful.

   I took advantage of this moment to relax, to enjoy the time spent here in the present.

      Everything was so quiet. Not even the crickets chirped or the owls sang their night song.

       The sky only seemed to get brighter by the stars awakening.