Chapter Thirteen

Even with a body snuggled close to me, I couldn't sleep. I laid awake with my eyes open for the majority of the night, and after I had slept; I woke up to an empty bed. I shut my eyes and sighed as I looked around the room with no promise. Cecilia was right, she wasn't big on commitments. I rolled from bed and headed for the shower downstairs. Cecilia was on the couch with Viper, paying no mind to me at all. 

"Hey," Viper said, "thanks for.." he took a long pause and then spoke, "babysitting." Cecilia shot him a glance and smiled at him. 

"Anytime." I headed into the bathroom and showered. I felt better cheating around with Cecilia knowing that Viper hardly cared for her. It'd been a week or so since they'd been together and she was getting a bit to cozy at our house. When I had showered, dressed, and applied a bit of makeup I wandered into the kitchen for something to eat. It had been a while, and my stomach could feel it. 

"Viva? Is that you?" 

"Yeah, what do you need?" I asked my mother. 

"I have something to ask you." 

"Ask away." I said coolly even though I was getting more nervous by the second.

"Could I ask you on the deck? Please." I grabbed a bottle of water and a fruit bar and headed to the porch. I walked out and she shut the door behind me. I looked from side to side trying to curve the nerves. 

"Alright?" I asked and she looked me over. I was scared she was going to talk to me about being gay. 

"About Cecilia." She said and my heart raced in my chest physically paining me. 

"What about her?" I demanded in too harsh of a tone. My mother spun on her hands and looked at me. She assessed me critically

"I was thinking you could ask her to be a bridesmaid under you in the wedding." I sighed in relief and she mistook it for a reluctant sigh. "Viva, be the bigger person. Put your differences aside for the sake of my wedding." 

"Fine." I said, pretending I was angered by her asking Cecilia. I walked inside and found Cecilia on the couch with Viper still. My mother nodded me forward and I tripped over a tile catching myself right in front of them. 

"I can't watch television through you." Viper said and I smiled at him curtly. 

"Cecilia, could I talk to you?" She nodded to Viper and got up off the couch. She followed me into the doorway area and I looked outside to see Bella walking up the driveway. Joy rushed through me and I tried not to express it. 

"Is that why you brought me over here? To rub Bella in my face?"

"No!" I realized the timing of the situation and I sighed, "I swear. Listen, ten seconds."

"I don't care if she's better to you than I could be," she turned to walk away, "leave me out of it."

"No! I wanted to ask if you'd be a bridesmaid." She turned to look at me as I opened the door to Bella. 

"But not for you." She said, "For your mother." She walked into the living room and made sure her makeout session with Viper could be seen from the doorway. 

"Hey." Bella said ripping her eyes from them. 

"Hi, how did you know where I lived?" I asked, looking around the semi-clean house. 

"Savannah told me," she said, "I put in a personal favor, she made the cheer team." I was overjoyed again and smiled.

"That's so good for her, thank you!" I hugged her tight to me and remembered how little she was.