Chapter 47- Death in Heartaches

The ball had been a successful night for some people and a disastrous night for others. Stories would probably be fluttering around the gossip cloud for at least a few months. Tom's night had fallen somewhere in between utter calamity and bliss. It was a rather agonizing thing, to sit next to her in Potions the next day and pretend all was well. He was sick of pretending. A part of him wished he had revealed his identity in that moment and had told her absolutely everything. A foolish and delusional daydream of them kissing again swam hopelessly in his mind the entire lesson, but instead of pure horror and confusion, her expression was full of joy and unmeasurable happiness. But, what next? What would happen if they really planned to do this? Would she leave Quin? Tom could imagine that future and it was not so successful. Even more scandalous gossip would flutter around the school, and nothing would ever be the same again. For Tom, it would seem like a long-time inevitability finally coming to pass, but for everyone else it would seem like a very bizarre development. He would recover given a little time; however, Frankie's reputation would surely be ruined. She'd be painted as a harlot, who'd probably slipped Tom a love potion, and she'd be instantly branded with a bad reputation. She'd worked just as hard for her position and even harder to scrub away the other unsavory titles she'd been labeled with in the past.

It'd just been too overwhelming to think about the bigger picture in the moment. Tom had felt so helpless. A dangerous feeling for a boy like him. He had control over nearly every other aspect in his life, but love couldn't be willed into doing what he wanted. So, rather than face certain consequences, he ran away.

It was rewound back to the way it was for at least that hour. Frankie was currently smiling, as she and Quin worked on some textbook exercises together. There was no hint of there being something amiss in their relationship to the naked eye. She clearly hadn't told him about last night and Tom seriously doubted by her pleasant expression she would actually admit to it. But, she had already admitted something else rather remarkable. Her true feelings. There was no doubt she regarded him in that way, even after everything that had happened between them. Frankie hadn't confronted Tom yet either and was treating him in the same formal etiquette they'd developed over the past few months. She must've not suspected he was Lord Voldemort. Tom tried to keep focus on his own work, but his mind kept flashing to the pained expression that grew when he pulled away from her. Both times they'd kissed she looked so sad. Tom could picture her reaction if he had told her it was him yet again. Tom didn't want to cause her anymore pain. She was a strong-willed girl, but near shattering for good with the amount of shit he put her through.

He would, however, just simply wait. Be kind, charming and obscenely handsome, while keeping this juicy little secret all to himself. The warmth it brought him would help with the remaining bit of his pitiful soul's survival. While it still may have been a farfetched dream, Tom would bide his time until Frankie broke up with that idiot of her own accord. It wouldn't be so hard now that he knew she really did have feelings for him. It was the closest she'd ever come to a confession. It wasn't done properly, but it was proper enough for him. If he could thank the ball for one thing, it was the certainty she would remain true to those feelings of love in spite of everything. And it would always be enough.

Unfortunately, there was something Tom had to do on his end first before Frankie would even think to consider him again.

                                                    *~*~*

"What did you say to me?"

It was a yell so tremendous it would have brought the attention of everyone on the floor if anyone had been around to hear her. Luckily, it was that period after classes where most people were in their common rooms chatting or studying before supper, and the corridor remained barren. Tom had held Lyra back after their last class and purposed they take a walk. Lyra had been in the middle of detailing a recent incident where Ellyn had "accidentally" transfigured one of her favorite hair ribbons into a snake when Tom had decided to tell her some upsetting news.