Chapter 32: The Anchor and the Signal Fire

I woke up to the warmth of the sunlight touching my face. It was the touch I would welcome anytime in this cold and violent pirate world. Summer seemed to be longest in this adventure and the storms are the strongest, but it was the morning light that I had always looked forward to. And it must be the warmest morning I had for an arm was wrapped around me and it tightened as I tried to move in it. I looked up and saw the Skull leaning on the railing with his eyes closed. I could feel the calm beating of his heart on his sinewy chest and I wished my arms were free to touch his face.

And I wanted for us to stay like this; only the two of us facing the morning light. I decided to stay still and used the moment to stare at him. His face was peaceful like the sea and there was no trace of monsters in his head now that he was sleeping. His cold grey eyes were replaced by the beauty of his long lashes and thick brows. His nose was perfect and the shape of his lips made me want to taste it. He was an angel and I couldn't believe that a devil was currently sleeping inside him.

But this kind of moment was too precious and rare that it wouldn't last for long. A crease started forming on his forehead and within seconds, he was already squinting to look at me. I smiled sadly at him as he loosened his arms around me. I sat up straight and faced him.

"I – I didn't know I had fallen asleep," I stuttered trying to defend myself. I was afraid that he would think I took advantage of the situation last night to sleep in his arms.

I thought he would let me go and make a distance between us but instead, he pulled me again closer to him and I landed on his chest. This sudden move of him made my heart skipped a beat and I knew that the loud hammering on his chest indicated that his heart wanted to leave its cage. And I wished we could both escape the prison we were caged in.

"Skull," I murmured, looking up at him. He closed his eyes again surrendering to the light of the morning sun. And when the side of his mouth curved slightly, I knew that he was the brightest thing the day could ever have.

"Just give me few more minutes for we both know what kind of world is waiting for us when we come down this crow's nest," he whispered silently. His morning voice was music to my ears and I wished he knew that I, too, wanted to stay like this.

I snuggled more into his chest and I could feel his arms tightened around me. The way he made me feel was coated with pure uncertainty but somehow, it felt good. And it got me wondering if there was really comfort living in hell.

"The Skull... Threy... or whoever you are right now, I want you to know that... that I still hate you," I said hesitantly – for right at that moment, I wasn't sure if I still hated him. It was like while we were sleeping, all the anger and hatred disappeared. It seemed that I bargained those emotions for a place inside his arms.

He shifted slightly from where he was sitting and just like another dream; I felt his lips kissed the top of my head. I bit my lower lip hard to make sure that I was already awake and despite not knowing what it meant, it felt genuinely sincere.

"I will not stop you from the hatred you feel towards me because you have all the reason to do that. So go on, hate me. Be mad at me," he answered in his deep voice.