Part 17: The Test

"Why are you always upsetting my bhabhi, Chote?"

Arnav stared at his sister in confusion before looking at his wife and then at Anjali again as they sat on the couch video calling.

Arnav - When did I upset her?

Anjali - Just look at her. She seems so upset and not at all looking like the usual chirpy Khushi.

Arnav slightly pushed Khushi's shoulder with his own to bring her out of thoughts. She looked at him with a frown and then followed the voice to the standing tablet on the coffee table. She smiled a bit now.

Anjali - Khushiji, are you alright? You seem upset and lost today. Did Chote fight with you?

Khushi - No Di. This time he's not to be blamed. In fact, everything is fine. I was just thinking about something.

Arnav - This time?

She didn't have the energy and willpower to argue with him now, so just rolled her eyes at him and continued to her sister-in-law.

Khushi - Di, you guys talk. I'll go see what to cook for lunch.

She got up leaving the siblings pair baffled. Khushi had never left any call. She'd be talking endlessly to all the family members and hang up only after hours. Such behaviour was so unlikely, that the duo couldn't help but worry.

Anjali - Chote, I suggest you see her. She seems upset today.

Arnav - Ya Di. I'll call you later. Bye.

* * *

"Khush, what's the matter? Are you upset over something?"

He found her up in their room, looking for something in a drawer in the cupboard.

Khushi - I'm late.

Arnav - For what? Where are you going?

He frowned in confusion as he walked towards his wife. It was Saturday and they were to go out for dinner but apart from that, she didn't share any plan of hers with him.

Khushi - No Arnav. I don't mean that. I'm going nowhere.

Arnav - Then?

She held her head into her palms nodding in denial. How can men be so stupid? Arnav stared at her still awaiting an answer.

Khushi - My periods are late.

Arnav - Oh...ok!? But isn't everything kept in the bathroom cupboard?

Again. How can men be so stupid, she asked herself. He clearly can't understand she's almost panicking. She wouldn't be, if she got her periods now!

Khushi - No! I didn't get them yet! I should have gotten them four days ago. But I'm late!

It finally hit him. She observed him clearly to see how he reacts. She wasn't alone in this after all. In fact, she would be happy if she was pregnant. But Arnav didn't want to have kids yet, so they had been protecting.

He looked at her form sternly, still very much in awe. He couldn't understand how to react. It shouldn't have been possible at the first place. On the other hand, contraception isn't always 100% reliable.

Arnav - Did you take a test?

She shook her head in denial. He cupped her face to make her look at him.

Arnav - Don't worry. Even if you're pregnant, It'll be fine.

She looked at him as a sense of relief took over her and she asked happily.