Chapter 5

Lai sat on her bed and stared at her bag. Then she dumped it out, and looked  at the ball. No doubt about it, it was a spyball. She knew her mom was downstairs, so she decided to try something. 

"Show me Nuila Foster." Sure enough, a misty picture of her mom appeared. 

"whoa...." Lai breathed, and fingered the image. Then she sighed. She wanted to know what her mom was hiding about her Grandmother. If only the spyball could show me dead people.... Knowing it wouldn't work, but wanting to try anyway, she said softly, "Show me Sophiemai Foster."

Nothing. 

"Augh!" Lai wanted to dropkick the ball across the room. So she did. And.... suddenly there was a hole in her wall. "Oh shii-take mushrooms." She ran over to the nonexistent wall. And instead of her mom's room.... a hidden room. Lai eagerly ran in.... and all that was there was a mirror. Booooooorinnnnng.  She was about to walk out of the "secret room" when she heard a voice. "Who are you?!"

Lai whirled around and saw a woman in the top corner of the mirror. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

"Who are you?" The woman repeated. 

"Uhhhhh.... Lai Foster."

The woman's jaw dropped. "Are you- are you related to Sophie Foster?"

"No, I am related to Sophiemai Foster."

She snorted, "No such person." 

"Uh, yeah? My mom told me her name. She doesn't lie."

"Hate to burst your bubble, but she did. Have you NEVER heard of Sophie Foster?"

"Uhhhh no? And my grandma was just a normal elf!"

"Oh she was far from normal. In fact, she was an experiment."

"An experiment. Really. And who, per-say, experimented on her?"

"You have never heard of the Black Swan."

"Nope."

"And you've never heard of the Neverseen? Or Dex Dizznee? Or Tam and his Sister Linh Song?"

"Nope."

"Or Biana or Keefe or Fitz? Or... Wylie? Or Prentice?"

"Nope, nope, nope and n- wait, What were Fitz and Keefe's last names?"

"Vacker and Sencen."

"Oh i've heard of them! They were some of Sophiemai Foster's friends who died in the fire with her."

"Uh, they're not dead, you know that right?"

"Uh, yeah they are."

"Your mom told you that?"

"Yeah...."

"Well, your mom is lying to you. I don't think she wants you to know that they're not dead, and that they are Heroes. They saved us!" 

"yeah, you're wacko, lady."

Before she could respond, a voice behind her said, "Uhhh why is there a hole in your wall?" 

It was Fior.