- Ninteen: Wanted -

- Nineteen: Wanted -

Okay, one more question and I swear I'm done, I said for the tenth time. We had finished eating just as the sun was hinting at rising, and all that was left of the deer was a juicy carcass. Initially I had been grossed out, thinking that the taste of blood on my chops and raw meat in my stomach would be revolting, but it turned out to be one of the finest meals I had yet to eat.

Nick made an exaggerated sigh as Dom said, What is it?

If the Head is first in command, and the Ri is third, why is there no Anax in this leap? I asked. It's amazing how quickly my brain had begun working as if it were part of the leap. Speaking the words and acting as if I was part of a well oiled machine.

Yes, well there's a story behind that, he replied, the original heir to the Ri roll was killed years ago during a hardship. A rebellion of sorts.

The young Ri, who was two or three years old I believe, was killed in a fire. Being so young, he had no time to reproduce an heir, so a search began for a proper replacement amongst the humans and I turned up, he said.

You were bitten too? I asked, stopping abruptly. Nick hissed as he ran into me from behind. David had once told me that only females in the upper ranks could be bitten to take the roles. Males had to be born into them.

Yes, I was bitten, Dom said, obviously reluctant to reveal more.

What about the Anax? Aren't they the second ranking in the top three? I asked, still confused, Why don't we have one? Or two I guess.

Same thing. The Anax pair had an only daughter who was killed in the same fire at age ten and a replacement still hasn't been identified, Dom said.

How long ago was this rebellion? I asked.

Many years ago. Maybe thirty? Before my time or yours, Dom said.

Why did the Werecats rebel? I asked.

They had -, Dom began.

Dominique, you know speak about that topic is forbidden, Eran interfered.

What? Why? I asked.

Yes, Head, Dom answered. It was strange how his tone changed depending on the person he was addressing.

Before I could continue arguing, a crack of thunder rumbled in the near distance. It startled me, but I kept walking. As the thunder died, fat rain drops began to fall and taint my black pelt.

Suddenly I heard something else. I stopped walking as my ears turned in the direction of the low buzz.

What? Asked Dom as everyone else stopped too.

Shh! I hissed, straining to hear with my one working ear, Listen.

As the buzzing grew closer, I realized it was not buzzing at all, but people talking.

"I feel bad for the child's aunt," a deep gruff voice said, "her sister-in-law and brother have already died and now her niece goes missing too?"

"Yeah, I heard the only family she has left now is the little kid. What's his name? Andrew? Andy?" Another voice said.

"Adam I think." The first man said.

The voices were uncomfortably close now and Eran hissed, get into the trees, through our minds.

Dom, Eran, Nick and David all jumped into different trees in a single leap as Willow and Misty darted deeper into the woods for cover. I, however, scraped and scratched at the trunk and couldn't seem to get any farther up.