EJ

Emma's POV

"Thank you for meeting with me on such short notice Mr. and Mrs. Hollen. I just wanted to talk to you about Ethan Junior's behavior and conduct."

We were sitting in Ethan Junior's classroom with him and his class teacher. EJ had gotten into a fight with another kid in his class.

"First, Ethan Junior is a very brilliant and intelligent student. He's punctual and brave. Over there is what I call the Star Chart," she pointed to a poster on the wall that had the names of students and the stars they received for their academic performance. 

EJ had a full line. I was impressed. But there was another line for conduct and behavior, his had only one star while other students were all above five. I was disappointed, and Ethan was too. His eyes were getting darker and darker as he looked at our son.

"Ethan Junior has a temper that needs serious controlling. He got into a fight with another kid last week because that child accidentally stepped on his box of markers. Then, he got into another fight because the other children were teasing him and calling him 'one star'."

"Oh my goodness, Mrs. Powells. My husband and I are very sorry about his conduct in the classroom. We know he has a temper; we've been dealing with it from home, and we'll continue to do so until he shapes up," I said, glancing over at EJ.

"Thank you. But as I said, he's a brilliant little boy. He just needs to mind his language and his temper."

"Yes ma'am. Thanks for meeting with us," Ethan said, standing and shaking hands with Mrs. Powells. 

I shook hands with her also. 

Ethan glared at EJ. He wasn't pleased-- the look of disappointment was in his eyes. Without another word he walked outside towards to car.

The ride home was silent. 

When we got through the door, Ethan led EJ to our bedroom. He sat him down on the bed and hovered over him like a predator.

"What have we talked about son?" 

I just watched because I usually left the discipline up to him.

"Minding my manners," EJ said innocently, bowing his head.

Ethan lifted his face. "I want you to look me in my eyes when I'm talking to you," he said, his voice rising. 

EJ looked up at his father, tears in his eyes now.

"Little Ethan, let this be the last time your teacher calls your mom and I in to tell us about your behavior in class or out of class, and I'm dead serious this time."

"Yes Daddy. I'm sorry."

"Sorry isn't going to cut it this time. I'm taking away your PlayStation and Xboxes, your iPads and iPhone, your computer-- both laptop and desktop; I'm taking away your toys and your bouncing castle in the yard. You're not getting back anything unless you get a full star chart for your conduct and behavior."

"Daddy are you serious? You can't take all my toys away. What am I gonna play with when I'm bored?"

"You're going to read ahead in your school books. And I'll get you a book on behavior, so you'll read that!" 

I knew I shouldn't snap at him but his attitude and behavior was terrible, and if we didn't discipline him and put our feet down, it would be too late for him. He was only nine. He should act as a child and behave as one. I loved all my children equally, and I wanted to see the best for them. I wouldn't have a rude child.

"Okay. Mommy?" he said, crying now. 

My heart broke looking at his small figure sitting on our bed, sniffing and wiping away his tears. I just had to hug him.