XXIX

JADA WARREN

The silence was the first thing I noticed.

Ever since my wolf came in, mental silence was a rarity. Even when I blocked her out, which was every second I could, I could still feel her prodding at the back of my mind, still there, still present.

But now, I couldn't feel her at all. There was no other presence in my mind at all, just my own thoughts. I tried to open up the mental wall, and was surprised when I found I didn't have to.

I wasn't blocking anything out... There was nothing to block out.

I peeled my eyes open and was blinded by an almost familiar white light. I blinked a few times to regain my vision, and was pleased to see a familiar blonde seated beside the bed I was slumped down on. He glanced up, presumably hearing me shift in my spot, and perked an eyebrow at me.

"Hey, Sleeping Beauty," he grinned.

I rolled my eyes at Julian and rubbed my temple. "Are you going to tell me what happened or are you going to beat around the bush, Jules?"

He leaned forward, his lips spreading into a cheeky grin. "When have I ever been known to beat around the bush?"

With pursed lips, I raised an eyebrow. "Are you avoiding my question?"

He leaned back to sink into his chair and folded his arms over his chest. "Your wolf died, Jay."

A sense of relief washed over me and I let my head fall back, squeezing my eyes shut. I'd had my suspicions, the lack of presence in my mind proved that, but to hear those words at loud... It was complete bliss. Being something I'd grown up hating was complete torture for me. Living in my own mind for those weeks with my wolf was horror, every conscious moment was utterly shitty. The silence was welcomed, extremely so.

"Thank God," I breathed, blowing out a deep breath. "Thank God, Julian. Thank G-"

"Your mate bond with Isabelle died, too."

I paused.

"Your bond strengthened when you turned, but when your body began rejecting your wolf, the wolf part of yourself took the entirety of the bond with her. You're not attached to her anymore, not by fate." Julian closely watched for my reaction, his hazel eyes focused solely on my face.

"Oh," was all I managed to utter.

Julian called for Dorian, the doctor, to come and do his routine check on me only a few minutes later, and the familiar man waltzed in in all his arrogant glory. Upon seeing me, he grinned widely, and came forward to clasp his hand around mine. I was sitting up at that point, my legs dangling over the side of the bed, and he pulled me forward and hugged me tightly.

"Looking lovely as ever, Warren," Dorian smirked, pulling away from me and holding me at arm's length away.

"Wish I could say the same about you, Fisher," I shot back, grinning at him. Dorian and I were light friends, he was only two years older than myself and we had lots of training classes together in elementary school until he chose the medical path and left physical training. He was a dense minded son of a bitch, never one to associate with those he didn't like.

"You're not in the position to offend me," he chirped teasingly as he began his health inspection, waving a medical tool around in his palm. I snickered at his empty threat and allowed him the next ten minutes to check up on me.

"You've recovered miraculously," he commented when he finished. "You were out for a day and your body managed to completely regenerate itself as if you'd never become a Hybrid in the first place. Incredible, Jada, really."