Chapter 7.0

"Let me get this straight

"Let me get this straight. You're hosting a retirement party . . . at a bar . . . that's filled with Southside Serpents. For a recovering alcoholic. Who could get arrested again if he associates with the Southside Serpents. What part of this sounds like a good idea to you?!" 

"Don't make it sound so terrible, Andy. It's a party not a drug deal," Betty hushed her as they entered the Whyte Wyrm. 

"Hey, Toni," Betty greeted her.

"Hey, Betty, Andy," she nodded at them. Andy took a seat on one of the barstools.

"You have a stage. Would you be open to me bringing a karaoke machine?" Betty asked the pink-haired girl behind the counter.

"For FP's retirement? Sure, why not."

"Also, Toni, another reason I wanted to talk to you, beyond the party planning, is . . . I've been walking the razor's edge since Jughead joined the Serpents and all I've been thinking is as soon as FP gets home everything will get better because he'll be there to protect Jughead . . ." She went on about how worried she was about Jug. "I want to keep an eye on Jughead, myself."

"So, what? You wanna be a Serpent?" Toni asked, amused. 

"Serpent-adjacent . . ." Betty reasoned.

Andy leaned against the bar, raising her eyebrows at her blonde haired friend. "Okay, you did not mention this to me. You're planning to become a Serpent?"

A woman started laughing, drawing their attention. 

"Shut it," Toni snapped.

"Sorry. If you wanna join the club, you gotta do the dance . . . The Serpent Dance." 

The Northside girls cast their eyes towards the stage, where a pretty woman in nothing but a bra and shorts was sensually dancing around a pole.

Toni drew their attention from the woman. "It's this outdated sexist Serpent tradition. I've tried to get it outlawed but . . . misogyny dies hard."

"That's so shitty. To force women to dance like that to get into the Serpents when the guys don't have to. That's such bullshit." Andy was pissed. "Wait, oh my god, how old were you when you had to do that?" 

Toni avoided the question. "You don't want to know about the dance," she told Betty.

"Um, yes. I do . . . I want to know everything." Toni and Andy shared a look. It was admirable that Betty loved Jughead so much that she would do the dance for him. But it was also kind of inappropriate, as she was a minor, and she'd be dancing in front of a bunch of grown men. 

Betty left after a while but Andy stayed to talk to Toni. "She's insane. She's crazy. My god. I can't believe that's what women have to do to get into the Serpents. Like, we should be over this goddamn patriarchy by now."