Remnants

"So, for this biology project, I want you guys to study any animal and their behavior. Explain every characteristic they have and how that helps them adapt and survive in their habitat. Then, research threats to that species and predict who they will evolve in the future. Please don't do cats or dogs cause that's just lazy and boring." My biology walks to the front table and drops off a clipboard. "I assigned you partners so come and take a look. I want you guys to decide on an animal by the end of class and get started over the weekend."

The whole class groans in unison, having already picked their partner by eye contact. However, this is brief as everyone rushes to the front in hopes of seeing their friend's name next to their own. Vincent and I stay rooted to our seats.

I twiddle with my thumbs while waiting for someone to approach me, confirming g my partner. However, I secretly it won't be the case... being that my partner might still be sitting down... possibly the one next to me...

I give in once the front table clears and no one went to talk to me yet. My feet are heavy as I approach the clipboard, trying to keep an open mine but I can't seem to help but think Vincent Vincent Vincent.

Erin. Dang it.

Don't get me wrong. Erin is nice and all, but she never works. Plus I have other reasons... Vincent.

When I turn around, I catch Vincent looking towards the front of the class, but quickly directs his eyes to his desk and scribbles something in his notebook. Since no one sat next to him yet, I check the list once again. Next to Vincent's name is John, who is currently absent. I look around for Erin, not seeing her either. I might as well go back to my seat.

I have one animals in mind already: turtles. Since I already spent hours researching them for the sake of properly caring for Wilbur, this would be an easy assignment that would take me no longer than a day.

I start listing anything I know about turtles in my notebook. Since Erin isn't going to do the work, I'm sure she won't mind if I chose the animal without consulting her.

"You guys are awfully quieting for partners that are supposed to be picking an animal," my biology teacher laughs, tapping on our table.

"Oh, we're not partners. Mine's absent," I explain.

"Vincent, where's yours?"

He shrugs in reply. Something quite odd for someone usually very talkative.

"Well, if your partners are absent, you guys should just partner up and get started. I'll just partner the other two together Monday." Satisfied with her decision, my teacher smiles and leaves us awkwardly staring at our desk.

I continue my list for about ten more minutes before I speak up.

"Are turtles okay?"

"Sure."

I continue my list for another ten minutes before speaking again.

"I can just finish the whole thing tonight."

"No, I'll help."

We continue our silence for yet another ten minutes.

"Should we try to finish the whole thing after school?"

"Sure."

Another ten minutes.

"Where do you want to do it?"

"Coffee shop should be fine."

My chest hurts like it's being stomped on. Even before we were close, we rarely did homework outside of each other's houses. Another ten minutes.