02

"What the hell?"

I glared at Brennan as she continued to laugh. I didn't like her at all; she holds this façade of not giving a crap about school, and acts as if she's on top of the world—she's someone that I wished to never be involved with as she's a bad influence. Once she was done laughing, she sat up, leaning back against a shelf and looked at nothing, a smile on her lips as she mocked me.

"I'm not afraid to use this..." she repeated, adding the crack of her voice at the end and chuckled. "What were you going to do with that?" She nodded her head towards the thick book. "Knock some knowledge into me? Please." She scoffed.

"What are you doing here?"

"Isn't it obvious?" She taunted, "I'm locked in as well." Her careless grin left her face for a moment as her brows furrowed, a look I couldn't identify passed by her eyes and she closed her eyes, sighing and the smile came back. "God, I never thought I'd be locked in a library with the school's poster boy."

"Hey!" I protested.

"Don't act surprise," she scoffed, "you're the epitome of a good student, and even you know that."

"It's not my problem that I want a successful future," I sneered back. This is the most she's talked to me during the three years of high school, and she's already getting on my nerves. Usually, I would be polite to girls because there wasn't a point in acting the way my peers do, but Brennan was infuriating me.

I can't escape though, I have to wait until six in the morning which was when the library would open. Knowing I'd be spending the night here, I grabbed my backpack and placed it on the floor. I tried closing my eyes and letting sleep take over, but when I spotted the flashlight moving through my peripheral vision, Brennan moving to the space not too far from me, I couldn't help but stay awake.

"Why do you think school's the key to a successful future?" She asked me after a moment of complete silence. I stared at the ceiling, contemplating whether I should answer her. "Are you ignoring me, Peter Pan?"

I sat up, "Peter Pan?"

She grinned, nodding, "You remind me a lot of Peter Pan; I mean, you have the features of a freaking 10 year old, but obviously, you don't act like the guy—you're too... uptight."

"Whatever," I muttered, lying back down. "And I don't believe school's the key to a successful future, I believe hard work is." She was quiet for a moment, then she laughed, as if mocking my answer. This agitated me, and I sat up, glaring at her. "What?"

"That's bull!" She laughed. "Do you think people that are rich and famous in our generation actually studied their hardest?" I only stared at her, waiting for her to continue. "Being successful nowadays is making one good video, getting it viral and having a blue tick by your name—school and hard work doesn't do anything."

"Then why did you ask? You obviously have your own opinion about it," I snapped.

"I'm just saying," she lifted her arms up in defense, "no need to get your underwear in a twist." I'm not used to being around girls for this long because they honestly make me a bit nervous, but Brennan was different. She was irritating me. The way she held herself, so careless and rebellious got onto my nerves, and I admit, I am quite uptight when it comes to most things, but she was a different story.

"Are you going to sleep?" She asked after a few moments of me closing my eyes.

Reluctantly opening my eyes, I glared up at the ceiling, knowing that sleep wasn't going to happen with her around. "I was going to."