prologue

The cafeteria was buzzing with students' conversations

The cafeteria was buzzing with students' conversations. At the very back of the lunchroom sits Ajax. Her earbuds are sticking out from her hoodie, attached to her ears and her hand is moving against paper, graphite tinting the side of her hand with the movements. She keeps her music quiet, only enough to give her background to all the conversations being had. One thing Ajax can't stand, not being able to hear exactly what's going on. Not exactly eavesdropping, just not wanting anyone coming up from nowhere. But, that's when she hears the infamous words from Flash.

"Penis Parker!" Flash taunts, laughing at Peter who was sat two tables ahead of Ajax with Ned and Gwen.

Ajax had been listening to Flash call Peter 'Penis Parker' for the past two years and she had had it but that wasn't her reputation at school and she wasn't going to ruin it then. Stay quiet, behind the scenes and everyone leaves you alone. That's the rule. So, when she goes to look back to her sketchbook, Flash is suddenly falling flat onto his butt. Ajax snickers as she goes back to her artwork while the students who witnessed the random fall erupt in laughter, including Ned and Gwen. Peter chuckled to himself, a slight sense of amusement and relief he'd not have to hear from Flash the rest of lunch thanks to the embarrassment.

"I don't know! The floor is slippery alright?" Flash gains Ajax's attention once more with his screaming as one of his friends helps him back to his feet.

"It's not slippery, man. You just can't walk." Flash's friend makes fun of him, causing Ajax's smile to widen. It was time Flash got some of his own medicine handed back to him.

Before Ajax could become absorbed in her sketch again, the bell for the next class rang. She packed up her things quickly and made her way out of the cafeteria, keeping her eyes on the floor in front of her. Ajax took her seat at the back of the class, sliding her blue US History book on the desk before opening her sketchpad again. If she carried her books of class, she wouldn't have to swing by her locker, meaning more time to sit in silence and avoid human contact at all costs.

The second bell rang as Peter jogged into the classroom, nearly late as usual. Ajax put her things away as the teacher looked over the class, checking to make sure everyone was accounted for. To Ajax's dismay, this class wouldn't be like the ones prior where she'd take notes, get the assignment, finish it, and go back to what she was working on.

"Ajax," The teacher called out after finishing roll, gaining her attention. "You'll be working with Peter and you'll have the World's Fair Hotel." She announces.

Peter looked over his shoulder to see Ajax, his cheeks tinted the softest shade of pink only visible thanks to horrendously bright fluorescents.

Ajax's hands grew ice cold as her heart sped up with the thought of working with Peter. While he pawned after Liz until she moved the year prior, Ajax was busy finding interest in him. He was different and a bit odd but that just made Ajax all the more interested. Not to mention, he was quite nice to look at.