Chapter Twenty-Five - Melanie's Return

It felt just like second nature to me, I hung onto one of the rope ladders that fell down from the top of the ship, securing me safely so that I could stand upon the ledge of the boat and hang over the edge, gazing deeply into the deep blue ocean. I watched as the pale foam and salt spray smashed into the side of the wood and the waves rippled across the surface.

With one hand still tightly clenched around the rope that kept me in the ship, I lowered my body down so that I was now sitting on the edge of the boat, my legs dangling off the edge, being surely coated in a thick salty mist. This is where I should be, close to the sea, not locked away inside some castle but in the great outdoors surrounded by my real family.

Everything has been happening so quickly that I haven't really taken time to reflect on what my return will bring. Will Harry still want me? I miss him with all my heart, waking up each day without his face close to mine, falling asleep without listening to his soothing heartbeat. We've been together since we were 8 years old and I can't imagine a life without him. He's my everything.

"Hey you, whatcha thinkin' about?" CJ questioned, I could hear her boots thud against the deck of the ship as she got closer and closer, reaching the far starboard side where I was currently resting.

"Nothing much." I murmured as I turned my head around to face her, pulling one leg back over to the ship so I could let go of the rope in my hand without the risk of falling in. I watched her as she followed my actions and copied the way that I was sitting, so that she was now opposite me.

"Does it have something to do with my brother?" She raised an eyebrow and smirked causing me to blush slightly
"Yeah, how did you know?"
"He gave you the locket, I always knew he would- you two are perfect for each other" She smiled and gestured to the silver jewellery that was laying on my chest, I could feel butterflies flutter across my stomach as I gently clasped the locket and clicked it open, revealing the youthful picture of Harry and I. We were so young and knew nothing of the trouble to come, we just wondered the isle, day in, day out, wreaking havoc and commanding our little pirate crew.

"I think he hates me, CJ. I can feel it. He told me that there was no place for us in Auradon and I agreed with him. Yet here I am" I confessed
"But even I know that you couldn't help it Elle, it was your Mom" She explained and I nodded, it truly wasn't my fault but they wouldn't understand, they are hot headed and jump to conclusions, especially after the entire ordeal with my sister, they will think I've abandoned them to be with her.

"You look like you need a drink" CJ chuckled as she raised her left hand and showed me a bottle of rum that she had most likely stolen out of the Captain's Quarters. I laughed at her actions as I took the bottle that she was offering me.
"CJ, you're fifteen" I stated, rolling my eyes but popping the cork from the top anyway
"And you're only a year or so older than me. What's the difference? Anyway! We're pirates" She smiled as she lent back against one of the wooden poles, I held the amber glass bottle against my wind-chapped lips and let the liquid burn down my throat as I took a few gulps before handing it back over to the minor in front of me.

"It's been a while" I joked as I brought the back of my hand to my face and messily wiped my lips.
"Light-weight" CJ retorted once she hand brought the bottle back down and we just sat there, reminiscing, watching as the deep blue water passed us by and slowly letting the weight of the world lift from our shoulders before passing out to our quarters for the night.

It took no less than 2 days with the strong winds that we were having to reach our destination- I was above excited by no doubt but also mildly apprehensive to have returned. The isle was my home but I feel utterly distanced from it, and everyone on it. I was on the news on every channel around the isle and Auradon, of course, I threatened the King's girlfriend and attacked two princesses upon my escape. Mal had spoken to the press and tried to get them to lighten, she said she didn't want me to feel like I had to run, and said that she didn't hate me for what I did and doesn't want anybody else to either.

Lie. I hate her as much as she hates me and I wish that I never have to see her scheming little face again. Like I told her before, she is no sister of mine, she is a blood traitor. It might have been Mom who took me from my home but Mal held me captive and if it wasn't for Harriet and CJ, I might have never had made it home, never had seen the love of my life or my very best friend again.

Now I just had to suffer the consequences of my departure. Make them realise that it wasn't my fault, that I wasn't a traitor.

This is going to be difficult...

____________________________________

DUN DUN DUN! She has returned o.o
Tempted to start making these chapters longer?

-Anon xx