Chapter Thirty-Eight

I let out a childlike giggle whenever Alexander attempts to swat my hand away. He groans, turning over as much as he can on the couch.

"How come you never just let me sleep?" he mumbles. His feet hang over the edge of the couch, and his head rests across my lap.

"Because I can't feel my legs." I say with a laugh. I try to wiggle my legs out from the position they are in, but he is too heavy to move.

"That's too bad." He answers with a yawn. He turns his head back towards the television and tries to get in a comfortable spot.

"Xander..." I whine. He sighs and switches positions to where his feet are now propped in my lap.

Alexander begins to doze off, so I throw on of the pillows at him. He looks startled at first and glares at me.

"You're going back tonight. I don't want you sleeping the whole time that I get to see you." I say with a frown

"Well, I was never supposed to leave in the first place." He tells me with a smirk.

"Well, I never asked you to leave. I was perfectly fine just leaving Ireland without you." I say, returning the sarcastic smirk.

"Okay, fine. I guess I'll need my ring back." He says, faking sadness.

I laugh, but he reaches for my hand. Just as he takes it, I snatch it away. "No." I tell him sternly.

He smiles and pulls me over so I am lying against him. He keeps one arm locked tightly around me as I snuggle up against his chest. I put my arms around his waist and bury my face in his chest. The familiar scent of his cologne is overwhelming at first, but I get used to it.

His other hand fumbles with a piece of my hair, twisting it around one of his fingers. I'm too comfortable to really notice it.

He stops playing with my hair and uses both arms to hug me against him now. I look at the other end of the couch and almost laugh. While his feet hang way over the edge, mine barely even reach the end.

I see Madeline walk into the room and expect her to make some kind of remark about Xander and I. I'm surprised when I hear her say nothing. Instead, I see her smiling to herself just as she exits the room.

Mom had to leave earlier this morning for a photography job. She literally would not stop crying last night, so it's probably good that she is out of the house. I mean, I don't know why she is still so overjoyed; Alexander said he told her about proposing yesterday morning.

It was supposedly a surprise to everyone else, but not necessarily a shock. Alexander said he called Zachary yesterday morning to set up the whole "chauffeur" act, and I guess Zachary told Sydney to be there. Of course Sydney would have told Madeline about it. I've realized over the years that she's never been good at keeping secrets. According to Madeline, the only person she told was Dayo. Somehow the word spread and everyone was at the airport to see the proposal. Which isn't bad at all; I actually really loved that everyone was there.

Since we were at an airport, of course pictures and stuff were released. Probably everyone in the country knows we are engaged by now. But Alexander and I already agreed that we want the wedding and stuff to be as small as possible. It may be hard trying to plan a wedding around our schedules.

The audition yesterday went super well. The director said I did awesome, as well as the casting person. I hope that I get the part.

If I do get the part, I will still be away from Alexander for however long. But somehow, things seem better. I guess yesterday just gave me a reassurance that Alexander isn't just going to leave me.