Chapter 6: Pitch Black

I opened the front door to find my mother standing there with her arms open.

"Aden." Her face scrunched up and she dropped her arms to her sides. "Good heavens. You smell terrible."

"Thanks, Mom." I shuffled past her to the stairs. "Dad made sure to remind me all the way home."

"Quint?" She looked at my father. "Are you sure this is healthy? I don't want him getting sick."

"We're building character, Karen." He wrapped his arm around his wife.

She sighed. "Aden, hurry upstairs and take a shower. Dinner is almost ready."

"On my way." I trudged up the stairs to the bathroom and stripped off my clothes. After tossing them in the hamper, I stepped into the tub. I turned the water on as hot as I could stand and just stood there. Today had taken it out of me.

"Aden." My mother knocked on the door. "Hurry up, sweetheart. Dinner's ready."

"I'll be there in a minute." I grabbed some shampoo and quickly washed my hair. Examining my skin, I found little red bites everywhere. The mosquitoes had eaten me alive. I was going to be itching all night.

I finished washing up and turned off the water. Grabbing a towel, I wrapped it around my waist and hurried to my room to throw on some clothes. I was still wrestling my shirt over my head as I walked down the stairs. My parents were talking in the kitchen and I distinctly heard my name. My mother gave me a concerned look when I took my seat by the wall.

"Your father told me." She patted my arm. "You need to be more careful. Some of those dogs may bite."

"I will."

I dished myself some noodles while my mom started to tell us about her book club. I guess they were reading a romance novel from the early 1900s. Chris and Katy hooking up behind my back had left me feeling rather bitter toward that topic of romance, so I wasn't listening too closely.

"Aden?"

"Hmm..."

My mother glanced at my plate. "You need to eat something."

"'kay." I had been stirring things around for the last couple of minutes.

She kept eyeing me until I took a couple of bites before she went back to explaining the complex love triangle to my dad.

"Aden, are you finished?"

I nodded. "Yep."

"Do you mind taking Demon for a walk for me?"

"Mom," I whined. "It's your dog."

"Please, Aden." She piled up the dishes. "It would really help me out."

I scowled at the animal in the corner with its face buried in a bowl. "Fine." I stood and marched out of the kitchen to the entryway. After shoving my feet into my shoes, I turned to see my mom holding Demon.

"Here, he is." She clipped on his leash. "Make sure you don't bring him back too soon, or he'll leave me a little surprise to clean up in the morning."

"Got it." I put on my jacket and zipped it up.

She held him out to me.

"He has legs."

She placed him on the ground and kissed my cheek. "Thank you, Aden. I really appreciate it."

I let out a sigh. "It's fine." I took the leash from her and opened the door.

Demon bolted and nearly ripped it from my hand.

"Stupid mutt." I stepped outside and slammed the door.