How You Met

Otis:

"Y/N! We have to leave now!", your younger sister's shrill voice rang up the stairs and into your bedroom, where you stood in front of the mirror running a comb through your hair. "Hold your horses! I'll be there in just a minute.", you sighed exasperatedly before heading down into the front room of your family's quaint house.

This warm Friday evening you were headed to a concert. But it wasn't your choosing. Your sister, Susie, had gotten fixated on this band, 'The Traveling Wilburys', and nearly went mad with excitement when she found that they were headed to your city of all places. However, she was a child and your parents weren't too keen on going with her. You knew better than to contest them, as strict as they tended to be.

By the time your foot reached the floor from the final step, Susie was bolting out the door. Grabbing your coat and bidding goodbye to your parents, you followed after the eager little girl.

The venue was within walking distance. The both of you walked it in relative silence, other than the few times that you had to warn Susie not to dash out into the street. You had to giggle at her hyperactivity.

"We're here!", Susie exclaimed, bouncing up and down, as a towering outdoor auditorium came into your view. Thanks to your sister's rushing, you two had arrived rather early, and chose seats in the very front row, facing towards the center of the wooden stage. In a rural area like where your family resided, popular bands never performed shows. Only in your wildest dreams would say, The Who, or The Rolling Stones, make an appearance. Often times concerts were free, such as this one, and you wouldn't ever see a security guard. Of course, it also meant a more intimate atmosphere during the show.

As the sky grew dimmer and the sun sank down, the seats filled up one by one. You were just about to question whether the band was ever going to appear when suddenly a group of five men strolled out from behind the stage, carrying their instruments. The crowd cheered wildly.

One man in particular caught your eye. Although he was somewhat obscuring his face with dark sunglasses, you were nonetheless captivated.

(AFTER THE SHOW)

As the band finished off their final song and thanked the audience, which garnered yet another round of applause, you became determined to find out the man's identity. Their performance had been fantastic. You could now see the appeal and were rather thankful for your parent's insistence that you go with your sister. That was one benefit of these smaller venues - you had a greater chance of meeting the musicians. You glanced at Susie, who had already found a group of kids to play with. That should keep her occupied for the time being, you thought, then got up from your seat to push past the crowds of people pouring out of the auditorium.

After more shoving than you would have liked, you had at last arrived back stage. It was surprisingly quiet, with just a few people shuffling equipment about. You looked around anxiously. Had the Wilburys already left? Your thoughts were interrupted by a voice.

"Hello there... I don't believe you're one of the roadies?", you glanced upwards with a slight gasp to see that it was the man himself! The very one that you had become so suddenly infatuated with. You struggled to regain composure, feeling your face heat, unable to form coherent words. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you there, love. What's your name?", he asked in a smooth voice.

"Y/N.", you replied, with a voice that quavered ever so slightly. "That's a lovely name. I'm Otis. Otis Wilbury.", he responded, taking your hand and giving it a gentle shake. "Otis... I actually, um, came back to compliment your playing. You're so talented!", you exclaimed, probably blushing furiously. "Why, thank you... that means a lot coming from a pretty girl like you.", Otis chuckled and shot you a sly wink.