12: Lost in Mirkwood (part 2)

The Company has vanished. They were here just a second ago, but now they're gone. They wouldn't just leave you behind? Would they?

Maybe they went to find Fili? You think.

You run back to where you left Fili. It doesn't take you long to realize the hiding spot is empty. The ground has been torn up and the tree Fili was once propped up against is now partially uprooted and looks like it could fall over at any second.

You are sore and fatigued, but right now you could care less. The only thing important to you in this moment is finding Fili.

You blame yourself for what happened. If you had been more focused, you would have seen the spider and killed it before it attacked Fili. If everyone had just stayed on the path, none of this would have happened.

The path. If you can find the path, you can find your way out.

You shake the dizziness from your head.

Focus! You attempt to rub the tiredness from your eyes.

You try to take a step forward, but your legs feel like rocks, so heavy they're holding you back.

You feel like your feet have been glued to the ground.

You look down and realize: they have.

A wad of thick, sticky spider web is laced around your ankles. Panic shoots through you. A shrill scream escapes your mouth, but it's cut short.

You fall silent as the poison begins to run through your veins. A spider emerges from behind you.

The last thing you see before it all goes black are eight beady eyes.

•••

"Psst!"

"(Y/N)!"

"(Y/N)!" Fili's voice calls out to you.

Your eyes flicker open. You hear a sigh of relief and turn your head towards the sound.

Fili lets out a breath he had been holding in, "Thank goodness your alive! I can't imagine a world without you!"

Your breathing is coarse. You can move your lips but still can't speak yet. Your movement is limited. You can only move your eyes and wiggle your fingers and toes. You are also covered head to toe in spider web. You want so badly to reach out to him, but can't. Your eyes begin to water.

You wonder why the liquid dripping from your eyes runs up your face instead of down, but then you realize you're hanging upside down.

A few minutes pass. You find you can move your limbs more easily and attempt to speak once again.

"F-Fili," your voice is weak, but it's better than nothing.

"Don't worry, I'm right here." Fili whispers.

You notice that the rest of the company is also here. Spiders are everywhere, watching their victims to make sure nothing escapes. It seems as if the Company is in the middle of some kind of spider nest.

"Got any ideas on how to get out of this place?" Fili whispers, not wanting the spiders to hear.

You think for a moment. Your daggers are stowed away in the scabbard on your back. Your battle axe is also attached to your back, which means you can't get to it easily, especially not without being seen. You've used all of your throwing axes. The only tool that can help you right now is your pocket knife. It's hidden in a small pocket on the inside of your coat. You can try to grab it with your teeth, then use it to cut yourself free.