Chapter 6:

The sound of steel on steel fills my ears and beads of sweat roll down my neck. Elladan and Elrohir are laughing in the background, no doubt trying to distract my opponent and I, but I continue to tune them out. I study Aragorn's form as he tries to switch things up, though we both know each other too well. Aragorn draws back for a breath and I do the same. I spot a tall elf making his way over to us behind Aragorn's shoulder. Legolas is armed with his bow, quiver, and two knives. He steps over to stand by the two brothers, immediately studying the fight.

"Distracted Faylen?" Aragorn teases before moving in with a blow to the head.

I lift Lightsbane up to block his parry and force him to bring his sword down, leaving his abdomen open. I give him a kick in the gut and he goes down.

"Not yet brother," I smirk and circle around him.

We switch sides and he moves forward to slash at my feet where I easily jump up to avoid the hit. The golden letters engraved down the center of Lightsbane shine in the light and give me motivation to finish this duel. From ice, to fire, to ash.

Aragorn moves his hair away from his sweaty face and gives a sigh, though I know he won't give up yet. We move back and forth, both of us blocking each other's blows as we dance over the dirt. Aragorn makes another move to my side and I jump out of the way, quickly rolling to crouch behind him where I knock his feet out from under him. I rise and point the tip of my sword over his heart. He closes his eyes in defeat and I reach out a hand to help him up. He accepts and just shakes his head at me.

"You seem to be the only one who can still beat me," he says with a laugh.

"Now don't get too cocky," I reply.

I extend my arm and put a hand on his shoulder which he does to my other side, our usual gesture between each other.

"Who's next?" I ask.

"I don't think I can go another round against one of you two," Elladan says.

I laugh and sheath my sword in its scabbard.

"Suit yourself," I joke.

"I think I'm done for the day too," Aragorn says. "It's about time that I head off."

I look to the ground and prepare myself for our goodbyes, something I always hate to do. I raise my head and look into Aragorn's wise, grey eyes.

"Be careful," I tell him. "I want to see you back here."

"I always am," he says.

With a parting hug he walks up to the palace as I try to push away my sadness.

"We should be heading off too," Elrohir says.

"Dude! Where are you two going?" I ask in shock.

"We are to go secure the lands as much as we can," he answers. "We need to go see the Rangers about any suspicious movements as well."

"Don't worry though, we will be back like always," Elladan reassures.

They both pull me into a bear hug.

"You better," I mutter.

Then before I know it they too are gone. I sigh and look to the only person left, Legolas.

"You will miss them," he states though not as a question.

I nod with a small smile and move to my bow laying in the grass so I can distract myself.

"You can wield a bow as well?" Legolas asks.

"What, not what you were expecting?" I ask.

He laughs, the sound being welcoming, and steps closer to survey the archery range.