Chapter 16

Abbie's POV

After a while we all went back inside the beach house. Everyone was quiet, especially Niall and I. We hadn't been able to even talk to each other or look at each other while we were at the beach.

As soon as we were inside, Niall rushed to me, pulling me next to the staircase, away from the others.

"I'm so sorry, Ducky. I'm so very sorry for all of this. I didn't even realize we were off the beach, I shouldn't have been so caught up in-"

I interrupted his rambling, placing my hand on his cheek.

"Niall. This isn't only your fault. I was there too! I should've been more careful too" I reassured him. He was about to add something but I interrupted him again. "What did management say? Was it Simon?"

His face paled a bit, which wasn't a good sign. "Yeah it was Simon. He said that he was disappointed in me because I wasn't able to keep up with his deal thing. I tried to tell him we were on a private beach, but he didn't want to listen."

"Is he going to do something?" I asked, a bit scared of his answer. He shrugged his shoulders. "No, he said he's not sure yet"

I took a deep breath, closing my eyes as I sat down on the first step. "We're no good at this"

"No good at what?"

"Keeping us a secret, obeying management, not getting you fired or me kicked out" I muttered.

"I know" he whispered, rubbing his hands over his face. He seemed thoughtful for a moment. "Maybe we're just... Not experienced enough"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you're my first 'girlfriend' since the band formed, and this is your first time at being famous, of getting stalked and all. Maybe we just went too fast, you know?"

He paused and I remained silent, a bit afraid of where this was going.

"Maybe we should've waited until you get used to being known, or maybe I should've waited until I've experienced having a girlfriend and being famous, you understand what I mean?" he asked, turning his head towards me.

I shook my head, a bit unsure of where he was heading with this. I knew we weren't a couple yet, but it made more sense when he referred to us as 'girlfriend' and 'boyfriend'.

"I mean, I didn't know it would get this bad, with the paparazzi and fans and all, to have a girlfriend. And you're not used to having to watch out for paparazzi and fans and all. Maybe we went too fast; maybe we weren't ready. Maybe we should've waited until we both got used to it before we went further in our relationship" he reasonned, his eyes searching mine.

My heart dropped to my feet and my mouth dropped open. I was so shocked, I didn't know what to say. Was he regretting ever doing anything with me? Was this whole thing a mistake??

"I'm just scared that in the end, we'll both get hurt, Abbie" he whispered, seeing I wasn't answering him.

I lifted my gaze to meet his, and I studied his face, seeking for any kind of hint of what he meant, exactly. Which was impossible, because he was wearing an enotionless mask.

"Are you... Are you breaking up? Or, saying you don't want to go out anymore?" I choked out, my eyes wide and staring at him.

His expression seemed torn for a second, before it became serious again.

"You were right, Abbie. We should wait. Wait until everyone's calmed down about everything. Wait to see if this," he motionned to the both of us, "is real. If it's not just a crush that could break the both of us in the end"