xvii

My sleep was interrupted by the sound of knocking on my door.

I opened my eyes and looked at the clock on my desk.

02:03

Who was knocking this early.

"Stitches, open up." Poe's voice was muffled by the door.

I throw off my sheets and rub my eyes before getting up. I open the door to see a worried look on the man's face. He moved past me and into my room without asking.

"Well that was rude." I mumble and close the door to turn towards him. Poe stood with his hand on his hips, he looked irritated. "You could have asked to com-"

"Why didn't you tell me?" Anger laced Poe's voice. I furrowed my eyebrows.

Poe looked distressed, his hair was a mess as if he kept running his hands through it. He was in his pyjamas - which made sense given the ungodly hour. I was taken aback.

"What?" I asked stupidly.

Poe sighed in frustration and pinched the bridge of his nose, probably trying to calm himself.

"Why didn't you tell me your father... used you like that?" Poe's jaw set when he mentioned my father.

My back instantly straightens and I cross my arms over my chest.

"I didn't feel like sharing that information with you." I said confidently. But that made Poe more tense, although it looked like he was trying to hold back. I was scared a little.

"Why?" Poe tried not to burst. "Why not, Lyla?" He used my name, he was serious. I dropped my head and my eye contact went to the floor.

"Because," I lose any confidence I had in my voice and said the only thing that popped into my head. "I don't want to seem like a helpless and vulnerable kid to you.."

Poe snapped.

"A kid?!" He almost shouted and I flinched. He immediately regret his decision and took a deep breath to calm himself. "Lyla, I don't think of you as a kid."

He takes a step closer to me and I try to calm my beating heart. This was Poe, he wouldn't hurt me.

"But you said to Dak-"

"To get you to talk to me." He interrupted and shook his head. "You're an adult, I know that."

I started fiddling with my fingers as he watches me. I'm not sure what to say. I realize just then that I was in my pyjamas, which were really old short shorts and loose top. I pull the collar of my shirt back onto my shoulder from my arm and look at Poe. He was angry.

"I..." I try and find words to say. "Why do you care?"

In all my life I've had only two people truly care about me: my mother and Esma. Having Poe supposedly care about me was something I didn't want to think of given what happened to my mother.

Poe throws his arms in the air.

"Oh my Death Star!" He shouts. "Do you really not notice?"

From the look on my face I guess he came to the conclusion that I really didn't know what he was talking about. Poe stared at me and let out a small disbelieving laugh, like he was giving up. I grew confused.

"I'm done with this." He shook his head.

But before I could say anything, Poe took two strides towards me. One hand went to my waist and the other to the back of my head, his lips captured mine. I was stunned. After a second he realized that I wasn't kissing back and he let go. He looked into my eyes and let out a small, defeated chuckle.

"Well at least I know how you feel about me then." He said in a soft voice. His face looked broken and he let me out of his hold and took a step back.

He ran his hand through his hair and looked anywhere but at me. I was still in shock. He let out a breath.

"I'll leave you alone." He said and started to leave.

It suddenly struck me what was happening. I couldn't let him leave, I needed to show him how I felt. I didn't trust myself to speak so I moved my body in front of the door to block him. Poe looked confused. I needed more time to think, but I didn't have time. Instead I used my instincts.

I grabbed Poe's shirt in my hands, something that took him off guard. I couldn't process what was going through my mind as I raised on my tippy toes and placed my lips on his.

Please kiss back. Please kiss back.

I felt Poe's arms move around to my back and he pulled me closer as he kissed me. I smile a little into his lips which he seemed to enjoy. I moved one hand from his chest into his hair and tangled my fingers in it. Poe's hands went to my hips and he pushed me gently into the door. Unfortunately Poe pulled back and I opened my eyes, but Poe's were still closed and he rested his forehead on mine and took a breath.

"Can you please kiss me again?" I whisper. A large smile grows on Poe's lips as he lets out a laugh.

"I would love to." He says and moves his forehead away from mine. He takes a step back and lets go of me. My arms fall to my sides and I go back down on my flat feet.

"You can't kiss me if you're that far." I say and Poe laughs again. He holds his hand out for me and I take it. He leads me to my bed and sits down, I follow suit.

"Why didn't you tell me about what your father used to do?" He tucks a strand of hair behind my ear while his other hand still holds mine.

I move my fingers to intertwine with his and he lets me. I liked holding his hand like this better than the other way. I stared at our hands while I answered the question.

"I didn't want you to think I was damaged goods." I whispered. Poe lips moved to my forehead and he placed a small kiss, I closed my eyes to enjoy it.

"You'll never be damaged," he says, "and you're a person, not goods."

I lean my head on his shoulder.

"Who told you?" I ask and play with his fingers.

"Esma." He chuckled a little. "She gave me a speech on me not being allowed to hurt you."

I could see Esma doing that, I smiled a little.

"What did you say?"

"I told her I had no intention of it." He said.

We stayed like that for a couple minutes. My eyes moved to my clock, which read 02:46. I needed to sleep, I had work in the morning and so did Poe. But I didn't want him to leave.

"It's late." Poe says as if he read my mind. "I should go."

Poe stands up but I kept our fingers intertwined so he can't leave. He looks down at me with his eyebrows knitted together.

"Can you please stay with me?" I ask and see he's about to make an excuse. "I have nightmares sometimes."

Poe sighs.

"You're trying to guilt me." He says knowingly and I just shrug. His eyes move to my bed and he points at it with his chin. "That's not meant for two people."

I smile up at him.

"I know." I say. "Esma says I'm a cuddly sleeper."

Poe laughs and shakes his head. But I managed to convince him to stay. He lifts the covers and moves in first and then me. My body is at the very edge as I look at Poe.

"How do you sleep?" I ask as Poe makes himself comfortable.

"On my back." He says and opens his left arm towards me. I smile and place my head on his chest and cuddle up against him, which meant I was able to fit on the bed. His arm wrapped around me. "I can't believe you convinced me to do this."

I smile into his chest.

"It was very easy."