3. Skylar & Braheim

I promise my characters will develop. I promise!!

Adonis»

We went behind the building and sat in the parking lot. Wishing it was just her and I.

"What're you guys doing after this?"

"It's 7, I'm probably going home." I told her.

"I'm probably gonna chill with my girl." Eden shrugged. I looked at Farrah, who seemed disappointed.

"Home at 7 on a weekend Adonis? Come on." She asked me.

"I don't really go anywhere."

"He doesn't get invited anywhere, that's why. You should invite him out..I'm gonna go back in and find Mom." Eden said standing up and heading to the door, winking at me and mouthing you got this before entering the building.

"Maybe I should invite you out..It's gonna be a pretty boring night since Melanie left with those guys."

No. No. No. How the fuck do I say absolutely not without sounding rude?

"Uh.."

"You don't have to Adonis, I can take rejection." She said laughing.

"I um..I don't think my mom would let me. She doesn't let me do much."

That's the truth. Even when I was younger, and I'd get invited to birthday parties I couldn't go. She always said they'd 'be too much for me' so I've never gotten used to things like that.

"I get that." She said shrugging. There was a moment of silence before she began speaking again.

"You know, this is the most you've ever acknowledged me..like ever."

"I don't like talking."

"I can tell. Any reason why?"

Aspergers. I wanted to say. When I was eleven and we got the diagnosis, Aspergers was introduced as something that would hinder me socially, or something that would make me different. My mother begged the doctor for answers as to why I didn't talk, but the doctor insisted— it was just me.

I was told not to blame my quietness on Aspergers, or the traumatic events of my childhood. One of those, I still do. It can't be "just me".

Even still, rather than explaining all of that it would be so much easier to just say Aspergers. But I couldn't say that to Farrah, she wouldn't get it. Maybe that or..I'm embarrassed.

"I don't know, I just am."

Stupid and immature answer. But it was easy.

"Oh. I can tell you're kind of tired, and the program is almost over..we should get back inside. Can we exchange numbers?"

"Uh yeah, I guess so."

I wish I had the courage to ask her, why do you want to talk to me? Instead I kept quiet. She handed me her phone, put my number in it, then gave it back to her. I almost smiled, but didn't. There has to be a reason she's doing this.

"If I text you, you better respond. Promise?"

"I promise."

Farrah»

Finally my mom and I were leaving.

"Where's Melanie?"

"Ugh, she left with some guy." I told her.

I couldn't stop thinking about my brief conversation with Adonis. He's odd, but I enjoyed talking to him for some reason.

As for Eden, he has a girlfriend. For now. But I have a spot in line, but I have to form some type of friendship to up my chances. The way I could do that would be through his brother of course, I could tell I'd made him uncomfortable, but it's only a matter of time until Adonis and I are friends. I'm sure of it. That thing about his mom letting him do shit annoyed me. Maybe if he was allowed to hang around more people he wouldn't be..the way he is.