chapter 4 » intuition

The next morning came around and Ajax's head was pounding while she rushed around her room, picking up broken glass from her uncle the night before

The next morning came around and Ajax's head was pounding while she rushed around her room, picking up broken glass from her uncle the night before. Peter and her talked for well over two hours, the longest she'd talked to anyone since her mom died. But, Peter did eventually grow tired and Ajax urged him to go bed, saying she would be off to bed, too.

She lied.

Instead of going to bed like she should have done, she continued her drinking. Of course, she felt okay after her conversation with Peter. He helped lift the weight from her shoulders, but, thoughts crept back and anger struck so, alcohol it was. Now, she was paying for it with a hangover and two hours of sleep.

As she was dumping the broken glass into the garbage, Ajax's phone started going off, cutting through the music she had playing through her ears. With a groan, she answered the call on her way to back to her room.

"I don't have time. What?" Ajax shut her door, quietly, careful not to wake up her uncle.

"You're supposed to be at school." Asshat says.

"Sometimes, people run late. That's a thing that happens, ya know, when you're not some big hot shot."

"Get ready. I'm picking you up."

"I can get to school my fucking self, thanks." Ajax grits her teeth as she stuffs the vodka bottle back underneath her bed.

"Apparently, not. You're late twice a week. I'm done. Get your shit together. We're on our way." With that, the line went dead.

Ajax punched her dresser in frustration, immediately regretting it as piercing pain shot through her knuckles. She bites her lip, biting back a yell, knowing all well that waking up her uncle, would be the end of her. With the pain, came a spinning and twisting nausea. Ajax made a quick run to her bathroom to throw up the rest of whatever was still sitting in her stomach.

She rests her back against the wall, her head following suit as she takes a deep breath. It was going to be a hell of a day. Sometimes, things are a little too much and Ajax wants the world to stop, just for a few minutes so she can breathe. So she won't hurt someone. So she can relax. Just, something but the world doesn't work that way. She's a teenager and she needed to get off the bathroom floor, brush her teeth, and grab her things, do what teenagers do. Normal teenagers.

She grabs her things after brushing her teeth for the second time that morning before heading out of the door, locking the doors. When she got to the front of the apartment complex, there was a jet black car waiting outside with two men standing side by side with crossed arms.

"Wow, feels like something out of Men In Black." Ajax quips as the door is opened for her. She throws her backpack inside before sliding in.

"I'm tired of calling your school and making up excuses for you. I'm tired of writing you notes for being late." Asshat says as he slides in beside her.