Chpater 13

Ralph shivered as cold water sluiced down his torso. He filled the bucket again and poured the water over his head, cursing his fate.

What had he done to deserve this sort of torture? Wasn't it enough that she haunted his dreams?

He deserved a medal for what he'd just done. Drunk or not, Alice had wanted him. She'd offered her sinuous body to him without any inhibitions, without any hesitation. And never had Ralph wanted to give in to a woman so bad. But he couldn't...

He didn't know how long this case was going to go on for. And he was positive that even if he resigned, there would always be people waiting to hurt him. Hurt the people closest to him. Such was the life of a spy.

After their first kiss at the Opera, he'd begun to dream, to wish for the impossible. He'd thought that maybe he could convince Alice to marry him. Win her heart even...but that was all it was. An empty dream. Today had been an eye opener. He would never put Alice in danger again. She deserved better, someone who would keep her safe.

He sloshed some more water onto him, unable to get the image of her out of his mind. She'd looked so damned enticing in that chemise.

He knew he'd disappointed her, but even he wasn't such a cad to take advantage of her when she was clearly inebriated. He couldn't ruin her when he knew that he couldn't marry her.

He decided to go back inside to check on her after his ardour had cooled considerably.

He found her laying on her side, curled up like a child. This creaky bed wasn't sufficient for her. She deserved to sleep on a bed fit for a queen. He swore inwardly as he moved closer to her. She hadn't even used the blanket. It lay uselessly by her feet. She must have been freezing.

Ralph bit back a smile as he covered her with his coat. The blanket must have been too scratchy for her, she must be used to satiny sheets.

He dragged a chair by the bed and sat down, his eyes never leaving her restless form.

And then she borrowed in his coat and let out a content sigh.

Ralph swallowed.

If only he could join her on that bed. Not to make love to her, just to sleep. He'd be more than content if he could be close to her.

She did want you to sleep on the bed, the voice in his head said.

Ralph stood up before he could change his mind.

He was only heeding to her wishes, he thought as he settled beside her.

He was stiff as a board, not daring to move lest he disturbed her. But then the woman had to go and do what he'd not dared to anticipate.

She hugged him and tangled her legs with his. Her small hands lay on his naked chest. He'd removed him wet shirt when he'd come in.

He couldn't remember the last time he'd felt so happy. She slept, ignorant of the fire she ignited in him without even trying. She slept, her palm on his chest where she could feel his heartbeat resonate within her.

The heart that now beat for her.

"My enchantress," he whispered, lightly kissing her brow.