Chapter 14

Alice skipped down the stairs, humming to herself. What a wonderful day it was, she thought to herself, grinning like an idiot.

She had every reason to be happy. She was in love with the right man this time. Whether he loved her back or not was not something she wanted to think about just now.

She was walking towards the library when she saw her mother rushing to her side with a worried look on her face.

"What is it, mama?" Alice asked.

"This isn't the best time for you to be out of your rooms," her mother muttered.

"Why not?"

But her mother didn't have to answer.

Her father exited his study with George Bates.

Oh lord, why did she have to face this villain?

"Lady Alice, what a lucky day it is!" he said, coming to bow before her.

Alice curtseyed stiffly.

She didn't want this wretched man in her home, near her family.

"I'm afraid, I must leave right away. My man of affairs is missing," he said, turning to her father.

Bender. The man Ralph had shot.

"How can he be missing?" Her father asked, confused.

"Exactly. I must look into it, the man has been my right hand for a very long time."

Which meant that Bender knew too much.

If only Ralph proved his treachery, she'd finally be rid of him. His very presence made her sick.

And then it hit her.

She could help Ralph! Surely she could be of some use to him. Maybe if she got close to Bates, he'd tell her something? It was risky, but it was the least she could do. Besides, she was certain Bates wouldn't hurt her.

"I'll see you out," she offered. Her father smiled his approval while her mother looked confused.

Bates looked like he'd just won a lottery.

"It was a pleasure to see you, Sir," she said once they'd reached the door.

"The pleasure was all mine," he smiled, his eyes lighting up.

"Will I see you tomorrow?" she asked brazenly.

"Certainly. How about we take a walk around Hyde park late noon?" He looked pleased as punch.

"That sounds lovely," Alice smiled demurely.

And with a final heated look, he was gone. Alice let out a breath she hadn't known she'd been holding.

She sent a silent prayer heavenwards, hoping she succeeded in this mission. It was quite important for her because the sooner Ralph would close this case, the sooner she could broach the subject of whatever was between them.