CHAPTER 1

NAVRIA.

The night was cold, but the heart of man colder.

            Decisions are never easy to make.

Maria Gonzalo, a petite blonde ,with nice blue eyes and beautiful teeth rushed out of the Masters room.  She had gone into the Lady's bedroom with a plate of hot soup, to ease her fever. But she returned with a bundle wrapped up in silvery linen. She looked at the beautiful baby in it and grimaced.

Oh how she wished this was not happening, she had loved the Lady of the house but she couldn't afford to let go of a chance, to change the life of her poverty stricken family.
She had been paid a humongous amount of money to steal the child and bring her straight to the shore of Navria. She remembered the damned day , she set eyes on him.

             Augustus was the man behind everything. Relatively short, and plump he looked like an imp, but he never let his physical attribute deter him.

A week ago, he was given a mission, by his master.  He was sent to retrieve a child, from the Marcorti household, in Navria. He didn't know what the master needed the child for but one thing he knew was that, it was no where near his damn business.

After making several trips to Navria, He concluded that he couldn't get direct access into the mansion, so he had cornered one of the maidens.

From the rose garden where he had spied Maria, he had known that she was going  to fall for his trick.
At first he made subtle advances towards her but she rejected, questioning who he was and what is business is. Gradually she gave him little smiles and thereafter she was putty in his hands.

    Under the night sky, Maria Gonzalo moved like the Eastern breeze. She knew her life was going to end and she'd never get a chance to enjoy her wealth, if she got caught.

She cradled the child firmly to her breasts, as she raced all the while throwing quick glances over her shoulder.
She ducked obstacles and jumped fallen branches, she needed to complete the delivery before anybody noticed that the baby was missing.

The soup she had left in the bedroom had a little sleeping powder thrown in it for added advantage.

As she reached the waterside she scanned the area but couldn't find Augustus, She began to shiver from the cold as a new feeling of dread, crept up her spine. Looking down at the babe she adjusted the elegant material around her small form.

She admired the tiny silver necklace around her neck, she fingered it for a while then she had let it rest on the baby's chest.
Maria knew she was doing a very terrible thing, but she needed the money. She needed to show her good for nothing father that she could Make it, In this life.

Moving towards the bank she saw movement by her side, turning swiftly she faced the intruder.

He was a big man with squinty eyes and bulging biceps. Maria looked up at him as he looked down at her.
She was frightened by his size, with just one fist he would squash her and bury her here in the midst of all these dirt. It was surely a horrible place to die,she thought.

The man moved one huge foot towards her, as Maria took three tiny steps backwards. Summing up courage she tilted her shin and addressed him.

"Who are you? And what is your
business here"? She managed to say
although she was frozen inside, she really did a good job by keeping her voice steady.

The stranger looked at her hands,the bundle she was carrying moved a little . As it moved he heard the faint cry of a baby. He stretch out his hands.
"I'm Argon and I've come for the child. "

Maria looked at his outstretched
hands and shook her head violently.
"I am not giving you this child!"

Argon was confused. Wasn't she the woman he was sent to meet?. He made a move towards her, just then she turned and fled.

Thanks for reading!
Please remember to vote👍
And drop👇 your comments.
I appreciate you all.👏

😘