05 | ENIGMA |

edited: 7/9/2020

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

RORY'S WEEKEND WAS spent with her mother who had been granted a few days off work after the accident

RORY'S WEEKEND WAS spent with her mother who had been granted a few days off work after the accident. It was much needed for the two Aden women since they hadn't had a chance to really spend time with each other since moving to Forks.

Tears were shed while boxes of pizza and take-out sustained them amidst days filled with rom-coms and chick flicks. Rory made a note to learn some recipes or something because neither Aden women were the handiest in the kitchen. Cooking used to be Rory's father and sister's thing. They were both long gone now.

However, once Monday arrived, Jasper Hale and the rest of the Cullens had begun to outright ignore her. Even Alice, who had been one of Rory's budding friends in the town, had resorted to simply smiling at her, but not pursuing any conversation or inviting her to lunch, shopping, etc. Alice's attention in Spanish went to their teacher, an unusual feat for the hyperactive girl. Rory had initially tried to keep confronting Jasper about what happened but he was never left alone with her—one of his siblings, usually Alice or Edward, always lingered nearby and ushered away if she got too close. They didn't want to speak to her.

Rory tried not to take it personally.

The week following the accident kept Rory as the center of attention again. She had become some sort of damsel-in-distress type after the accident. Tyler was determined to make up for nearly killing her by trying to become her boyfriend, much to her disdain and the disdain of one of the other girls at their lunch table, Laura or something like that. He, and several other boys, wouldn't leave her alone. Carrying her books, buying her lunches, to blatantly being asked out—which she turned down. She wasn't really in the right headspace to date anyone, as sweet as their intentions might be.

It took Rory blurting out a lie that she had a boyfriend back in Texas to get Tyler, as well Mike, Eric, and a few other relentless boys at their table to back off. The lie incidentally sent the boys straight back to Bella, who had been basking in the absence of unwelcome attention. With Bella back to Forks high school boys main target, Rory conspicuously faded to the unattainable new girl—still fawned over, but given some breathing space at least.

"So, what's your boyfriend's name again?" Jess asked curiously one day in Biology II. They were the only juniors in the class full of seniors.

It had been almost two weeks since the accident and Rory was becoming very well adjusted to her new life. Forks had become home despite her rocky start.

Rory was suddenly aware of the familiar piercing feeling of someone staring at her. She glanced around and her eyes met Jasper Hale's cold gaze. She rolled her eyes and turned back to Jess, who stared at her expectantly.