Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

2. Jennifer

"Can we leave now?" Madison asked for the umpteenth time, pouting to get her point across.

The theater was empty, and most of the room was left unlit, leaving the rows of red chairs as nothing more than silhouettes. Madison and I stayed on the stage, where the spotlight represented a singular source of light. Sheets of paper were spread out across the hardwood flooring. I sprawled across this mess, scribbling furiously between pages, crossing out lines or inserting words into existing sentences. Madison sat off to the side, occupying herself with memes and random cat videos.

"Five more minutes," I replied absently. My attention was on the manuscript on the ground. This school play would be put on in front of everyone at the end of the year. No pressure.

Madison sighed, her perfectly shaped brows seeming to slump. If that was possible. Madison's picture perfect figure, from her luscious blonde hair to the movie star red lips and enviable slim waist, never seemed to be anything less than impeccable.

"Same answer as last time. That was thirty minutes ago."

Apparently, time also flew when people weren't having fun. "I'm sorry, Madison, but I have to finish this first draft tonight. The final version is due just before Christmas."

"Can you do it tomorrow?"

"No. Sorry."

Madison frowned but didn't push the issue. She knew how important the play was, at least to me. I had been dreaming about this opportunity since freshman year and now that it was finally a reality, I wasn't going to squander it for anything.

That being said, I didn't want to be selfish and make my best friend waste time watching ink dry. "If you want, you can leave first. You don't need to stay with me."

"It's fine." Madison waved off my offer. "I've been to every one of their games. I just want to take you to one."

I rolled my eyes. "You know I don't watch hockey."

"Neither do I. The only reason I go to the games is because Nick is playing." There was once a time when Nick O'Connor annoyed Madison to no end, but now they were a couple who had spent the last three years virtually attached to each other. I didn't know which version I liked better.

"Well, I don't have a Nick so there's no reason for me to go."

"I might have taken the best looking player on the team, but there are a lot of options for you to choose from. Most of the players on the team are single."

"I wonder why," I muttered. It was a genuine comment and not a bitter remark. I assumed their availability signaled some sort of character flaw. After all, only defective products remained on the store shelves.

Madison groaned in protest. "Do I have to remind you that you're also single, Ms. Beckett?"

Not really, since I knew I was a defective product. My flaws were abundant. If I wrote every single one of them down, I would have a grocery list on my hand.

That wasn't something I wanted to discuss though, so I changed the topic. "Alright, I think I'm done for now. Do you want to head over to the game?"

"Let me think about it." Madison feigned thought as she picked up her belongings. "Let's go."

***

We walked through the hallways, which were understandably deserted late in the evening. The only sound that kept us company came courtesy of Madison's heels, which clicked with every step. The endless row of grey lockers added to the desolate image, but we didn't mind the quietness. Our friendship had long since exceeded the need for constant conversation.