Chapter 25

Lucas

Scarlett. Scarlett. Scarlett.

She's been consuming my thoughts since I dropped her off at her dorm eight hours ago. That kiss this morning blew my mind. I was not expecting that at all especially after the way she was acting at my house last time I saw her.

I'm fully aware that she's been avoiding me since she ran out of my house two weeks ago like a maniac. She did one hell of a job avoiding me because I tried everything short of a sending smoke signal trying to get to her attention.

Thankfully Jeremiah mentioned to me the party last night, and I wasn't going to go because he told me it was only for the BSU and obviously I'm not black, but then he told me that a little birdie informed him that Scarlett was going to be on the arm of known asshole Marcus King. Marcus loves to play victim and make his (and everyone else's) life way more difficult than it should be. Last year he staged a whole protest that shut down campus for almost 72 hours all over food quality in the residence hall where the Black Student Union is located. The food quality sucks in all the dining halls but he was not hearing it and got his father who's President of the NAACP involved. It was a whole shit show.

Thank god I went last night. Besides being there when Marcus severely overstepped all his boundaries with Scarlett and preventing him from doing anything to harm her, I got to see a whole new side of Scarlett. Scarlett is always breathtaking, but last night in that tight little black dress, she was on a whole other level of sexy that I didn't know was possible until then. I physically could not breath when I first laid eyes on her. It was like all the breath had been forced out of my lungs.

Scarlett turned me on all night without her even knowing it. First with the skimpy dress, then with her ranting outside to me because I love it when's, she pissed, and then with that little show, she put on. I wasn't expecting her to be able to dance like that since she's always claiming that she can't dance, but obviously that was a lie. The moment she pressed her body into mine, it was a wrap. Luke Jr. has a mind of his own and decided to stand attention throughout her entire seductive routine. There's no way she couldn't have noticed him pressing his way into her back. I'm pretty sure everyone saw his grand appearance.

All on the way back to her dorm I was unusually quiet, trying to rid myself of him. I thought of everything from my mom, my grandma, and even Juliette trying to get Luke Jr. to go back into hibernation. It almost worked until she shocked me for the umpteenth time tonight by kissing me, after that, I stopped trying to fight with him and I focused primarily on the feel of her lips against mine. Just when I went in for more, she left me in the hall, confused and overly excited. I went home and relieved myself of Luke Jr., something that I hadn't had to do myself since high school.

Scarlett has affected me in a way that I can't explain, which is probably why I'm walking into her dorm with the intentions of figuring it out at 10 in the morning. It's extremely quiet because no one wakes up before noon on a Saturday. When I turn down the hall towards Scarlett's room, I run into someone.

"Sorry," I mumble. It's Ricky, Scarlett's friend or ex-best friend based on what she ranted to me last night. Ricky looks me up and down as though she's sizing me up. Getting to Scarlett is my only objective, and right now Ricky's in the way. I go to move past her, my mind set on getting to Scarlett, but she grabs my bicep and pulls me back.

"You're that boy from last night? Lucas right?"

"Mhm. That's me." I nod, not in the mood for small talk when I'm so close to getting to Scarlett. I've never spoken to this girl in my life and knowing that she hangs around Marcus makes me want to get to know her even less, even if she's Scarlett (ex) best friend.