121: Jungle 01

Lea was introduced to the supervisor and was then told how the tests will go about, which would include her. Everyone have yet to trust her, and their doubts clearly expressed through their expressions. Glares and mocks were only the little things they could do, for the Admiral acknowledged her capability in public.

First approached her once more, to instruct her of the details for what's to come. "This time's scenario, I will ask you to maximize your vigilance. Along with the rest, you will be sent to the jungle. Your task is simple: survive for 2 days. Anything with your means are allowed." He paused briefly, staring down on Lea seriously as if pondering an amusing thought. "...Killing is also allowed."

For a moment, Lea thought she saw First's lips lift a little, but she immediately threw the thought out of the window upon hearing his words. She gave him a nod, which supposedly should've hidden her excitement, but First observed the changes on her right away.

"...Just don't kill all of them." Although he sounded worried, Lea knew he did not care for their lives on a personal level. Thinking again, she understood some will have to be kept to maintain the District's population. Fortunately, Lea was not merciless. "Understood."

First didn't leave Lea even after he told her what she needed to know, instead, he spoke his mind. "Are you that confident with your skills? I admit you seem to have the qualification to compete with these bunch after you've evaded Admiral's introductory strikes. However, there are over 200 of militants here, you know."

Lea didn't speak right away, but when she did, her words gave First a certain reassurance, as well as a lingering premonition.

"Outcome speaks for everything. I should go."

She did not wait for him. Following the crowd heading to the jungle, her steps were light, almost skipping. When she joined the group, many eyes were on her. Some hid ominous plans, while others displayed savagery. They were intent to test Lea's luck, for they do not believe she was anything special.

Their negative thoughts about her stemmed from envy and jealousy. Their idol, the Admiral, obviously put special care towards her by sending her into Purge Team A. They've trained for so many months, only to encounter a woman who went up the ranks in one blow of the wind. They couldn't accept it, and since they couldn't stomach her, they hope bad things will happen to her.

Everyone wants to be part of the top 20 even if they have to go through so many trials. The privileges are numerous, and many cannot shy away from human greed.

Being the center of everyone's attention, Lea chose to ignore their hostility. Once inside the jungle, there would be no eyes to look upon her as such. With this thought, she smiled a little. Her small smile appeared wicked. Thank the gods nobody saw it, except for the three Spirit sisters of which Mill was once again a little frightened.

[Sometimes, I wonder. Lea, are you our savior, or a destroyer?]

To Mill's question, Nill sighed exasperatedly. Having an idiotic sister, she could do without. Afraid Lea will be offended, she answered her younger sister's question herself.

[Whether she is a savior to our kind and the rest of the humanity or not, you can judge by the efforts she's done. So stop asking foolish questions!]

[Sister... Are you Lea's sister or mine?! Our spirit essence are obviously similar, but you treat Lea more kindly than me. Wuuu...]

Listening to Nill and Mill, Lea's wicked smile changed to a genuine one. Her ruby eyes sparkled with a rare gentle light, filled with warmth.

[I'm neither a savior nor a destroyer, Mill. I'm just being selfish, trying to save the things I care about. And that includes you three. Someday, I hope you all can roam about freely like in the past. Never to fear humans eating away your lives, but this optimistic future... I fear will never come true if you live amongst humans. So, just a thought, after everything, I hope every Spirits can find a better place to live for thousands of years.]