Chapter 1

“Friends are the family we choose”

The Jauregui’s moved in during the last week of May, and by June, Camila and Lauren were inseparable. They lived on Miranda Drive, a small cul-de-sac on the outskirts of the bustling city of Miami. Seven year old Camila sat on a cold wooden floor playing with her new Ariel doll while Part of Your world played in the background. Up where they walk, up where they run, up where they stay all day in the sun, Wandering free, wish I could be, part of that world, she sang softly while she twirled her doll around in endless circles.

Her “concert” was interrupted by loud truck backing into the driveway of the deserted house across the street. It was such an unexpected sound that Camila paused and stood by the window as she watched a young family begin to move boxes into the house. Running around the front lawn was a vibrant little girl who looked about her age. She had long messy hair held in check by black leather headband, milky porcelain skin, and high cheekbones that slashed above her tiny chin. She heard her mother’s footsteps coming up behind.

“Gracias a Dios” Sinu exclaimed “they have finally sold that house. That thing was starting to become an eyesore. Look!” she pointed “They have a little girl your age. Go over and say hi Mila.”

Camila’s gaze turned back towards the vibrant little girl. She seemed brighter somehow than everything else in this now faded world. Camila suddenly understood the meaning behind the song she sang earlier, feeling that desperate desire to be a part of this little girl’s world.

“I made a flan for dinner but we’ll give it to them instead. Carry it over and introduce yourself” her mother explained.

“By myself?’ Camila nervously asked, pushing her black rimmed glasses back up into place.

“Yes Mila” as her mother pushed her towards the door.

“But…” Camila tried to think to an excuse, anything that would get her out of this.There were people for whom talking to strangers came easily. Then there were people like Camila who had to plan out what she would say in advance and rehearse it five times and still wound up dry-mouthed and stammering, when the moment arrived. That new girl wouldn’t want to be friends with someone like her; she seemed much cooler and confident. The thought of the new kid rejecting her mortified Camila. She followed her mom to the kitchen as she watched her mother throw aluminum foil across the top of flan, curled the edges down and placed the platter carefully into Camila’s hands.

“Be careful, mi hija” Sinu said as she watched her daughter slowly make her way towards the house across the street. She whispered a silent prayer in in her heart, hoping that her painfully shy child would make a friend.

“H-hi” Camila stammered in a nervous, squeaky voice . “My mom made you guys this flan”.

A tall woman dressed in a light blue dress walked towards her and retrieved the dish from the little one’s hands. She had dull grey eyes, a dullness as if she needed glasses and didn’t have them, but even so she was pretty in the sharp, brittle kind of way.

“Thank you!” She said as she peaked beneath the foil. “This looks so good and smells delicious. Tell your parents I said thank you.”

And suddenly coming around the front gate, sweeping through, moving with the grace and confidence that was more for a movie star rather than a child. In denim cutoff shorts and a button up white shirt tied in the front, she shook her thick brown hair and gathered it up into a ponytail.

“Hi!” Her voice low and husky as she pushed the hair that escaped from the ponytail behind one ear. “My name is Lauren.”

“I’m Camila” the younger one responded trying to sound as bold as the older girl. “I live over there” as she pointed the small green house across the street.