Chapter 2

The year was 1995: the year that Alanis Morrissette dominated airways, Toy Story became the first wholly computer generated movie, the year of the tragic Oklahoma city bombing, the year that OJ Simpson was found innocent. That year was also the year that Lauren and Camila both graduated middle school and would enter the crazy world that was called high school. Although Camila was barely a teen, her intelligent mind propelled her into a straight A student, so intelligent that she had skipped eighth grade entirely and was the youngest freshman to enter Lakeside High School. It was great news for both of them, being that they would share classes for the first time in their lives. Lauren and Camila spent every waking and non-waking moment together. Lauren was more confident, able to make friends fast, where Camila leaned on the shy side, hanging back from the crowd, much more satisfied if her head was lost in a book. She was forever known as “Lauren’s best friend” and that was okay. Although Camila had gorgeous features, she was still stuck into an awkward, tween phase. Days before her 13th birthday and she still had mosquito bites as boobs and stupid, red pimples that ruined her tanned complexion. She was like an outline of a beautiful painting, all the standard features were drawn out but puberty and time had yet to fill in the vibrant pieces that would make her stunning.

That year, Lauren transitioned out of her awkward pre-pubescent phase and became beautiful. Almost overnight, her bony shoulders disappeared- as if some supernatural angel smoothed them while she slept. At the same time, her high facial bones became more prominent. And her tomboyish gait acquired a sinuous, graceful sensuality. Yet while filling out in all the right places, she seemed to remain as slender as ever. She also dyed her hair red, an act of rebellion against her parents for the lack of time that they spent with her. Camila help pick out the color, she secretly wanted Lauren to look like Ariel, her favorite character from The Little Mermaid. Her hair was auburn and deep wine mixed with striking red streaks that made her green eyes seem almost luminous.

Even her father, who seldom paid attention to anything other than Christopher, remarked one evening at dinner “Lauren looks like a woman now, Clara” he said to his wife. “Have you had the “woman” talk with her yet?”

“No, Michael” Clara responded with slight indignation. “Having a child with Leukemia doesn’t necessary leave enough time for that. It stinks but Chris’s needs trumps Lauren’s at the moment. Lauren is almost fourteen. I’m sure if she had any questions, she’d asked me. Or better yet, she would ask Sinu.” 

“Thank God for the Cabellos” Michael replied as he took a sip of his coffee. 

Clara nodded her head in agreement. Clara was especially grateful that their families had become so close -the only other relative she had in America was her sister, who lived in Orlando, three hundred miles away. Now it was much easier to send Lauren to the Cabello household rather than shipping her away to Orlando whenever Christopher had a complication with his treatments.

Clara glanced up to a picture on top of the fireplace mantel. Her young family standing in front of the Grand Canyon- Mike standing tall, sucking his potbelly in, six-year old Lauren stood in the middle- her hands on her hips, laughing at joke Mike probably whispered before the camera flashed. Little three-year old Christopher shyly smiled -his long, dark locks framed around his tiny, fair-skinned face as he lay in Clara’s arms. They all looked happy, standing there in the sunshine, the sky spread out blue and forever in the distance. A family she could no longer remember except to be reminded of it’s existence through 8x10 frame that was attached to the wall. Their last vacation before they found out that her dear son Christopher was dying of an aggressive form of cancer.

"I’m sorry, Mrs. Jauregui…. It’s stage four… very aggressive… it’s already spread…"

What was supposed to be a routine appointment turned into a nightmare. Mike and Clara laid awake all night, holding each other, crying, praying, promising each other they’d get through it. Mike curled his arms around her and held Clara tightly. 

“I have to tell them. I have to tell Lauren.” she choked out. “Her little brother is her world. Ay Dios, her poor heart. They are only six and three years old. This is too much for them to handle. She’ll be devastated.” Mike held her tighter.

“We have to stay strong for them, mi corazon” Mike replied, loosening his hold just enough to look at her. “You have to keep it together or you’ll terrify them.”

“How can I keep it together? My son is dying, Our son, he’s dying.” Her voice caught on that, fear was a crack in the road that tripped her up. She collapsed into her husband’s arms and sobbed with a heart-wrenching, indescribable sound.

Hours later, when Clara settled down, Mike called out for his children. Lauren and Chris rushed into the room together, fighting with plastic swords, laughing.

“Take that, Tinkerbell,” Chris said, as he swung his sword into the air.

“Take that, Peter Pan,” Lauren giggled, pretending to stab her brother.

“Kids, settle down” Mike said, as he gestured for them to sit on the bed. “Your mother and I need to talk to you.”