Chapter 16: Escaping

I paced the room, trying to plan my escape. I have nothing to pick the lock on the door with, so at this point, the window is my best bet. I walk over and open it, glancing down. It is about two stories high and right above the water. If I was to jump, my swimming skills would be put to the test, and after my "swimming lesson" with Ace, I doubt my I would be able to survive this.

"No, you can do this." I told myself. I put my shoes on and quickly braided my hair. I looked at my bag of belongings, but decided not to bring it. It would only weigh me down. "Ok, Ok. You can do this. You'll be fine." I told myself as I wiped my sweaty palms on my day-old trousers. I slowly shuffled towards the window. Then I shimmied my way out, sitting stiffly on the window ledge. Now all I need to do was jump.

"Come on Mys." I said taking a deep breath and closing my eyes. I pushed myself of the ledge. I felt like I was flying and for a split second, the feeling was magical. Then the cold water hit me and consumed me. I panicked and began to flail around, and the ocean seemed to suck me down further and further. Calm down and relax, I thought to myself. I immediately froze and as I did, I could feel my body start to rise to the surface.

A few seconds later I felt the warm air on my skin. I gasped, taking in new air and began to wiggle my way in the water towards the dock. Before crawling up, I double check to make sure no one was present to stop me. With the ghost being clear, I heaved myself up. I sat on the dock a moment as I caught my breath. Wow, I survived, I thought. Smiling I bit, I got up and began to run towards 'Hattan. I stuck to the alley ways, in hopes to avoid any newsies.

I had been on the move for what seemed like forever. It was starting to get dark and to be honest, I had no clue where I was. I wanted to go to 'Hattan, but I'm pretty sure I took a wrong turn somewhere. My clothes were still damp, and I was starting to get cold. I stood in the middle of an alleyway and started to panic, spinning around, looking for anything that might be familiar. I rubbed my forehead, trying to think of what to do. At this point, I need to find some place safe to stay.

"Need help sweet face?" I man sneered.

"Uh, no. Thank yous." I said moving away from him.

"Oh, are yous sure? You look a little lost."

"I'm fine." I responded walking faster as he walked towards me. I kept my head down, moving quickly before I ran into someone. I looked up, find a man grinning down at me. "I, I'm s...so... sorry" I stuttered turning around to find myself face to face with the man I was talking to before.

"Aw. That's alright sweet heart. Listen..." He started as he walked into me, placing his hands on my waist. "If wes can't help you, maybe yous could help us." I spun around, out of his grip, only to find myself in the other man's grip. I gasped trying to find the words to cry out for help, but I couldn't.

"Don't worry doll face" he said guiding me backwards towards a wall. "Yous make us feel good. We'll make yous feel good." They both chuckled getting closer and closer. I push the one mans hands off me and made a run for it, but he grabbed my arm and pulled me back, slamming me into the wall. I whimpered in pain.

"Ooo, looks like wes have a runner here."

"Sure does" The other man chuckled.

"Hold her" he commanded.

"No, please. Please don't" I whined.

"Ooo and a beggar too." The two men smirked at each other. I tried to run for it again, but was pushed into the wall even harder this time. The one man pressed himself up against me. His one and was on my neck and the other held my waist steady as he grinded on me. He breathed heavily and I felt his warm lips touch my neck. I shifted uncomfortable, trying to move out of his grip. It was not use though. He was too strong. Tears started to escape my eyes and I looked over to see the other man undoing his belt. My heart pounded faster and faster. The man holding me, slipped his hand in my trousers and began feeling me.