s h o u t

Cleo = Italics

Cleo had never questioned her cousin's sudden evacuation from his home back in Manchester

Cleo had never questioned her cousin's sudden evacuation from his home back in Manchester. Although his dead eyes and shaking fists had greatly concerned her, she somehow knew that the matter was not something that he wished to discuss openly. So, she had let him be, vowing that if there were any signs of something drastic then she would immediately intervene. It had seemed the right thing to do, spending each day attempting to form a smile on his features was worth it if it helped him in the long run.

It seemed, however, that even the tightest seams in time could unravel.

Standing on her doorstep was a tall, dark-haired, freckled boy. He looked to be around her age, perhaps a little older judging by the wisdom in his sharp features. There was a train ticket stuffed in his back pocket and a varsity jacket supporting his slumped shoulders. He was handsome, she supposed, if you were into boys with eyes as dark as their hair and jawlines as sharp are their wit.

The boy appeared to be spelling out his love for the entire neighbourhood to hear.

Cleo couldn't help the small laugh that escaped her lips. It was something that she had not done in a while. It was something as rare as fairy dust itself.

There was nothing more charming than a practically grown man confessing his love in the pouring rain. Although he was completely soaked, it did not seem to deter the boy from his shouts. The desperation lacing his tone made her wonder how long he had been standing there and, more importantly, why he had been reduced to screaming out his love for the world to hear. Something as radical as this only occurred when the person the words were meant for refused to listen.

Just what had Vaughn been hiding from these past twelve months? What event could have possibly been so awful that it had caused him to draw such a firm line between the past and the present?

Deciding not to dwell on these things now, Cleo walked up to the boy who had now fallen to his knees in her driveway. He did not notice her until she gently placed a hand on his back. When his eyes met hers what she saw in his expression brought a small smile to her face. "Are you aware that Vaughn is physically unable to come to the door?"

The boy, who she would later know as Eddie, shook his head slowly as he rose to his feet.