25 - THE BATTLE OF NEW YORK

AS SOON AS THE CHITAURI began flooding the New York skyline, Tony knew dealing with Loki was definitely not a priority anymore. There was no reason to stall him since the portal had already opened. He just hoped the others had time to evacuate a maximum of civilians.

After fending off the God of Mischief, he flew out near the portal in the sky and for a second it felt like the breath got knocked out of his chest. The Chitauri looked viciously repulsive; like something out of a science fiction nerd's worst nightmare.

Meanwhile, down in the streets, a rabid fight was taking place. The Chitauri flocked every corner, attacking New Yorkers and destroying everything in their path. The Avengers could barely contain them.

In the midst of this chaos, Tony's voice reached their earpieces with a few breaks "Guys, I'm heading down. I'm going to lay them out for you."

Angrboda was fending off a Chitauri when the message reached her and it caused her a moment of inattention. The Chitauri took advantage of it to shoot directly at her chest. Thankfully, the Harpy had the good sense to jump away, just in time. The blast ended up grazing her arm, leaving an ugly but superficial wound.

She didn't let it faze her for long and quickly buried the blade of her spear in the Chitauri's neck.

Her breath came out in short huffs as she contemplated the dead beast, but a single thought was running through her mind: Tony's alive. Loki didn't hurt him. He's okay.

Her relief was shortly lived and before she knew it, more Chitauri were charging her way. This time though, a newfound surge of energy gave her the confidence she needed to take them all out at once.

A few streets further, the Black Widow had gotten Tony's message and it made an idea sprout in her mind. She grabbed Hawkeye by the arm and ordered him to hop back into the Quinjet with her.

"Stark, change of plans, we're meeting you up there!" she shouted into her earpiece.

"Don't stop for drive-through," Tony grumbled "I can't keep 'em occupied for long."

Natasha's strategy was a good one, there was no doubt about it: take out a maximum of Chitauri in flight before they could reach to the ground. This way they had a better chance of minimizing casualties.

Through the jet's windshield, Hawkeye and Black Widow saw the Iron Man leading an impressive horde of Chitauri, putting them in clear view of the Quinjet.

Natasha focused on keeping the plane upright while Clint pulled out the machine guns and fired a trail of missiles at the aliens, obliterating them.

But before any of them had time to be cheery, a massive blow came out of nowhere, rocking the jet dangerously.

"What the hell was that?!" Natasha exclaimed.

Clint looked out the left window, where the shot had come from. He found themselves to be quite close to the Stark Tower and it was only after squinting his eyes slightly that he saw none other than Loki, aiming the Scepter at their jet, ready to strike again.

"It's that bastard Loki!" he shouted before aiming the machine gun at the Stark Tower "I'll see if I can take him out."

"Clint, one more from him and we're down!"

As if on cue, Loki fired another blast energy that landed on the jet's left wing. The aircraft wobbled, barely holding on.

"We need an emergency landing!"