Epilogue

Epilogue

I stood there, frozen, in the threshold of the somewhat-familiar makeshift chapel. I had been here multiple times to make arrangements for this day. I couldn’t bring myself to go in. I wasn’t usually this timid. I put my hand on my heart to feel it, and it almost leapt out of my chest. I couldn’t do this. I’d turn around. Huh, how cliché would that be? There was a sense of déjà vu, as if I had been in a situation similar to this in the past...

       “Hey, are you ready?” a man asked, coming up behind me. I turned around, and my eyes widened. It was my fiancé, and, though is sounded cheesy, the love of my life: Chase Ryan.

       “No,” I said quietly, the poufy, tulle veil shielding my nervous face from the man with whom I was planning on spending the rest of my life.

       “Chase!” I heard my mother scold from a ways off. “You’re not supposed to see the bride now!”

       “Sorry, mom,” he mumbled. His hands were stuffed into the pockets of his black tuxedo that he happened to look as handsome as ever in, as he avoided my mother’s scornful gaze.

       “Chase Ryan, are your shoes—” she began, staring down at his feet in disbelief.

       “Gotta go!” he said, quickly kissing her on the cheek and disappearing before she had time for further questioning.

       “I like that boy,” she commented about her future son-in-law, dropping all signs of disruption.

       “So do I!” someone said, coming up behind us. “Jules, you look gorgeous!”

       “Thank you,” I said, turning around to face none other then the person who had somehow conned her way into being my maid of honor. 

       “You look lovely as well, Talia,” my mom complimented. Talia, like the other bridesmaids, had on a simple, red dress. It came down just below her knees, and had slender straps that stood out on her tanned skin. Talia looked good in anything she wore, but this particular dress made her appear all the more stunning.

       “So do you,” Talia said. “Personally, I think that you looked better at my wedding, but that’s just one opinion.”

       “At your wedding I was forced to wear a football jersey and jeans,” my mom said, pursing her lips, as I let out a laugh at the fond memory.

       When Talia and Adam got married, they decided that they wanted to have a different wedding—really different. It was held on a football field and everyone wore football jerseys. Adam was wearing a black one, and Talia wore a white one. It was definitely strange, but they were happy, which was all that mattered in the end.

       “Talking about our legendary wedding again, were you?” my brother questioned, approaching us.

       “Yeah,” I answered with a nod.

       “No offense, but, Jules, I think that ours was way cooler than yours it going to be,” Adam boasted.

       “It’s not my fault that they forced me into taking the ‘conservative’ route,” I mumbled, resting my hands over the tight corset, fitted to my waist in a way so that it suffocated my mid-section.

       I was having the fairytale wedding, of which most girls only dreamt. All I wanted was a simple wedding. I was willing to elope. But, no, my mother said that she wanted at least one of her children to have the perfect wedding. Since Adam had already taken the untraditional course, I was stuck with the princess wedding—gown and all.