Prologue

It was easy to describe her when she first arrived. She had doe eyes that matched her personality and eyebrows that moved up and down like a seasick sailor to let everyone know her tone. And she was so tiny, everyone would find it adorable.

But now she lay unconscious on the floor of the box, travelling upward at an unknown speed.Her sweat made her hair stick to her face and neck as her mind flashed with nightmares. She had no idea what was happening. She was placed on her side with her arms crossing each other on the floor, and boxes and crates surrounded her like a fortress.

Her body involuntarily shivered as the box came to a halt. The top opened, and her body was bathed in sunlight; her eyes twitched but stayed closed.

The boys milled around to see the newest addition to their family. Shock was evident on all their faces once they caught a glimpse of the figure laying on the ground.

"Is that what I think it is?"

"Nah, it can't be,"

"A girl?"

Voices buzzed all around like a tsunami of whispers. A seventeen-year-old boy with dirty blonde hair and a limp in his stride approached the crowd.He pushed some boys out of the way.

"What the bloody hell are you all staring at?" He grunted before his eyes landed on the girl. He gaped and turned to the nearest boy. "Alby, now."

The boy nodded and scurried off to their leader. The blonde made his way down the box to the unconscious girl on her side. His first thought was, "At least it's a beautiful one." although he had nothing to compare her to. His foot nudged her stomach gently to see if she'd wake, but he got no response. He crouched down and placed his finger underneath her nose, where he felt a light breeze—she was definitely alive.

A loud thud sounded from behind the boy as someone landed. He shifted on his heels towards his leader as he waited for instructions.

"What's this about a girl, Newt?" Alby asked cautiously and made his way toward the figure beside Newt. He let out a small sigh, knowing the rumours were confirmed. "Take her to the homestead."

Newt nodded at the command as Alby made his way out of the box and started directing the onlookers. Newt placed his arms under the girl's knees and back as he lifted her. Surprisingly light. He couldn't remember ever carrying a girl before, and he couldn't imagine that they would be this light. The two received looks from everyone on their journey to the homestead, which made complete sense considering none of the guys had ever remembered what a girl looked like. She was an alien in a foreign territory.

Newt entered the makeshift building and stepped over various things littering the floor as he made his way towards the stairs. There was no way he would put the girl in a random hammock; he couldn't know what a guy would do to her when no one was looking. He made his way up the stairs and, not knowing where to put her, entered his room. Newt kicked the covers off his bed and laid the girl down. She instantly turned over, and he placed the sheets back on top of her before turning on his heels to leave the room.

Before he could, she made a sound that stopped him. With almost a whimper, he turned around to see her trembling in his bed. Her face held such pain and sorrow that a wave of guilt washed over Newt, though he had no idea why. Perhaps he felt sorry for her only because he knew that when she wakes up, she'll be in a new, unforgivable world.

He couldn't take watching her quiver with unconscious fear. He felt the need to comfort her but didn't know how, and so he turned around and left the room.

A few hours later, a Medjack walked into the council hall, where a dozen keepers were waiting anxiously for him. Some stood rigidly, some paced, and some sat with their heads in their hands.

"She's fine," The boy closed the door behind him and faced the others. "She's sleeping."

"What do we do, Alby?" A boy covered in bandages turned towards the leader.

Alby stood with his fingers pinching his nose. That seemed to be the only thing people said to him today, which irritated him because he had no idea what to do.Why? Why had the Creators chosen to send her—a girl?Newt then stood up, which gave Alby a sense of relief. Newt was good in bad situations.

"She's stuck with us now." He said this and looked around the room. "I'm going to need a job."

Alby didn't expect Newt to say that, but nonetheless, he was right.

"What can she do?" Gally scoffed from across the room. "She's a girl."

A chorus of nods and murmurs of agreement flooded the room. None of these boys have ever had contact with a girl, and they weren't exactly sure what she was capable of.

"You're right, Shank," Alby finally said. "We don't know what she can do." But she's here now; I've got to do something about her.

"Treat her like the rest of the Greenies?" The bandaged boy asked questions and scratched at a cut.

Alby nodded and looked towards Newt, who had a stone-cold look on his face and no emotion whatsoever. He then looked around the room at the assortment of keepers (minus Minho, who was in the maze at the moment).

"For now, til we see what she can do."

A/N

hey hey :) i write on tumblr too
@kleftiko