Ch.2 - The Unexpected Colleague

So here's another chapter to this new story :) urg. So weird writing for another story. Keep writing Carson's name instead of Charlottes. Quite excited for this story though. Eeeek.

Chapters aren't usually this long but it's introductory stuff so.

Enjoy!

___________________________________

Charlotte would have been through half of her second taco, certainly not have been her last, happily humming with each bite as she munched but that was before she moved. Before she had been jailed away in rain city. Well, it's not that it's bad here. It's just, she's not open to it, she knows that. Though Seattle was good for one thing and that was the amount of space between herself and Him.

But Miami had been her everything. Even with the sore ending of it (not the ending), that city had been her haven. Her home. Every crevice of it was home. To the ocean waves, art district, and even her creaky dusting high school.

Sitting faux-collectively with her twisting hands in her lap, listening. Gulping past thick words and uneven flow of speech, to ask questions and sometimes contribute to the friendly banter passing easily between her sis and dad. Mentally covering tracks of her falling facade of happy sister pretending everything was fine, she's so happy. Do anything to seem like there's no reason other than missing Miami that could potentially put her younger sister in the same boat she was.

Sad and sniffling.

Her little Molly often has that tendency to look up to Charlotte and follow in those same foot prints, looking up to her for support and trust. So, as Charlotte had heard a million times drilled from Mom (and when Charlotte was at her worst, her father), that she had to set an example and put a positive foot forward so this transition could go as smoothly as possible for their little six year old.

Seemed like it had worked too (because Charlotte had locked herself upstairs alone). Molly was chattering just as much, and enthusiastic as she always has. Detailing out her day happily to anyone who would be willing to listen.

Whilst Moll had been discovering the new world around them, Charlotte had been suffocating herself inside of two printed pages, blurred with black inked words. Under mountains of blankets because she's constantly fighting a chill now that has little to do with weather, and trying to forget about her problems and feelings through the power of literature. Of fantasy lands full of fictional people who can't harm her, who she can live through and trust, and forget that reality ever exists outside of those lines and lines of dialogue.

Anyways.

Instead of the usual flow Molly takes when telling an adventurous story that usually Charlotte would know, Molly chooses a very factual based routine. Although it's just as enthusiastic, she sits surprisingly on subject--and Charlottes proud but also kinda guilty because these two weeks worth of stories are all new.

Honestly she's barely even scoped out the house they now reside in. Besides visiting the fridge when she actually felt something besides longing in the pit of her stomach. But raging the insides of the liquor cabinet had become a few times a week new tradition. One that set her back home, back with her friends, set her tumbling mind to ease.

Suddenly her ears perk up at the mention of Miami, pulling her out and away from her busy thoughts.

Sitting at the counter island, she again tries to rejoin the rambling about their last weekend in Miami--excluding the moment (that never happened) she was trying to shove deep underneath ten stacks of dirt. For a moment, and Charlotte wished it was longer, the longing to return was smudged silent. Sitting quietly, wringing her wrists and watching. She didn't feel like smiling, there wasn't any joy, but she tries to smile for Molly. To assure her she's okay. And to prove that same fact to Dad as well.