Chapter Twenty: Coffee

I don't own Harry Potter; I'm just borrowing him for a little while.

Harry woke to small hands shaking his shoulder. He groaned and turned over opening his eyes. He almost shrieked in surprise at the face inches from his own as he jerked back.

"Dinky's sorry, Hogwarts told Dinky to wakes Master up so Master could get ready," Dinky said pitifully ears drooping and face to the ground.

"It's alright Dinky, I just wasn't expecting it that's all," said Harry rubbing at his face. "What time is it?" He asked.

"It's quarter to seven Master King," Dinky answered a little more jovial now that her master had forgiven him. Harry nodded and made his way to his bathroom still half asleep. Although he was an early riser that was purely from habit and he was definitely not a morning person. He turned on the shower and let it run cold to wake him up as he stripped from the pajamas Death had dressed him in. Hopping into the shower he yelped and scrabbled at the knob to turn the water to warm. Although not awake he was definitely more alert. He quickly scrubbed through his hair and washed his body using his favorite soaps and shampoo, a mixture of green apple shampoo and a woodsy smelling body wash.

Soon enough he was dry with a spell and was contemplating how to do his hair. He had potions with the Gryffindors first so it had to somehow be out of the way. Finally deciding to leave it long, he utilized his magic to make dozens of little braids coloring some of them silver and green leaving the others black with his Metamorphagus abilities and then pinned them up in an oversized bun. Happy he slipped back into his bedroom naked to pick out clothing only to find Dinky had set out three separate outfits for him to pick from. Dinky looked nervous as he approached the bed looking over the outfits.

"You have good taste, Dinky" Harry said surprised. The only elves he had really known in his previous life were Dobby, Winky and Kreacher and he had never asked them for any form of fashion advice. He shuddered imagining Dobby's advice.

The first outfit was the most plain, a pair of black slacks, smart black dress shoes and a white shirt with his Slytherin tie, the next was a pair of ripped black skinny jeans, dark green snake skin boots and again a white dress shirt and Slytherin tie. The third was a pair of tight dark blue jeans that seemed splattered with black and silver paint and a pair of heeled combat boots, with a white dress shirt and black leather like vest. He smiled at the elf and put on the third outfit before pulling on his open school robe.

It was only just after seven and Harry knew that breakfast wouldn't be served until seven thirty so he gathered the books he would need for the day, strapped one of his daggers to his waist and slipped one into his boot before putting his wand in his hair and exited his room into the common room with his satchel. There were very few people up and none of them on the court so he sat on one of the love seats and pulled out his first year book on potions. He had read through it already as well as many other advanced texts on the subject but it never hurt to have a refresher. Soon enough the common room filled and casting a quick Tempus Harry realized it was only a few minutes to breakfast. He exited the common room and began making his way up the stairs towards the great hall. Will more awake than he'd been less than an hour ago he still wanted food and coffee if he could get it. He didn't drink coffee often but when he wanted it god forbid anyone get in his way. He arrived just as breakfast appeared on the table. A large amount of Slytherins and Ravenclaws were already at their tables as well as a good portion of Hufflepuffs. The Gryffindor table was more sparsely seated very few willing to rise early for breakfast.

Harry made himself a plate of breakfast, a fluffy cheese and ham omelet, a sliced orange and some strawberries. He looked around for a coffee pot but couldn't find one anywhere.

"Dinky," he called very quietly. Dinky popped in right beside him blocked from view by the table.

"What does Master King be needing?" He asked.

"Coffee," he answered and Dinky immediately began shaking her head.

"No, no, house elves not be allowed to give students coffee only professors, Dinky can't," he said with pitiful eyes.

"It's alright Dinky, I won't make you break the rules," Harry said with a sigh and Dinky shot a grateful smile before popping away. Harry sighed again. He really wanted coffee. He watched as Professor Snape poured himself a cup of hot coffee and couldn't help himself as he glared. Then an idea shot through his head. Not necessarily a good idea as he might get detention but if he got coffee out of the deal he figured it was worth it.

He stood up and slowly purposefully made his way to the teachers table ignoring the eyes watching his every step. When he finally reached the table in front of Professor Snape and Quirrel every eye was now watching him. Students didn't approach the head table; they waited until after meals to talk to professors. It was a good thing Harry wasn't coming to speak to anyone. Snape raised an eyebrow at Harry's continued silence and Quirrel watched the silent byplay curiously. Harry raised an eyebrow in return then quick as a striking snake snatched the pot of coffee from in front of him and turned to make his way back to his table.

"And what do you think you're doing Mr. Potter?" drawled a smooth voice in askance from behind him. Harry turned around slowly.

"Retrieving liquid of the gods that had previously been denied of me?" Harry answered in a faux innocent tone. Even the other professors were watching with obvious curiosity now.

"Students are not allowed to be given coffee for a reason Mr. Potter," Snape drawled further.

"It's a good thing no one gave it to me then isn't it?" Harry answered back before turning to make his way to the table once more. He had barely made it two steps and was contemplating celebrating his victory with a second cup of coffee after his first when Snape's voice once more sounded from behind him. 'Damn it' he thought.