Chapter 11:

We make our way back down the mountainside, the snow lessening the further down we get. Legolas jumps from above and joins me at my side. I seem to be appreciating his company more and more. We soon make our way along the shore of a dark lake underneath the looming cliffs.

"The walls of Moria!" Gimli says behind me in awe.

Slowly the moonlight reveals lines that grow to the outline of a door in the rock.

"It reads 'the door of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak friend and enter,'" Gandalf says.

"What do you suppose that means?" Merry asks.

"It's quite simple. If you are a friend, speak the password and the doors will open."

However no matter what Gandalf tries the door does not open. As he mumbles possibilities I sit down on the closest rock, studying the lake. Aragorn has to send off Bill the pony and Sam gives a heartbreaking goodbye.

"He knows the way home," Aragorn says before coming over to me. "What is it?"

"This lake. It disturbs me how calm it is and its eerie presence. We need to get inside as quickly as possible," I say.

"Wait, look," Legolas says.

We all look as the doors open and Gandalf grins.

"Let's go then," Gimli says eagerly.

Merry and Pippin are too busy throwing stones into the water to pay any attention.

"Don't disturb the water," I say, but am too late.

Ripples form from the center and I push the Hobbits towards the door, worried at what is in the lake. I enter through the doorway hesitantly. Something doesn't feel right about the space and get ready to unsheathe my sword. Gandalf's staff flickers alive with light and it illuminates the space. I stare in alarm as around us are skeletons piled on top of each other.

"This is no mine! This is a tomb!" Boromir says, his bellowing voice echoing.

"Oh no... no...no," Legolas says as he crouches down to pull out an arrow from a skull.

He holds it towards the light from next to me and my stomach drops.

"Goblins!" we both say together.

"Be on your guard," Aragorn says and unsheathes his sword, Boromir following.

Then a loud bellow sounds behind us and I watch in horror as tentacles fight their way through the door, snatching up the closest thing; Frodo. I thrust forward and slash at the tentacles. The monster lets out a piercing scream and moves back into the lake, waving the Hobbit around. An arrow is shot into its eye from Legolas behind me but the creature still won't give up. I give Aragorn a nod, both of us having the same plan. He rushes forward towards the tentacle carrying Frodo and latches onto it while still staying his ground. I use all of my might and bring down my sword that slices right through the tentacle, freeing Frodo. Aragorn catches him and retreats from the lake, Boromir helping.

"Inside! Quickly!" Gandalf shouts.

Aragorn, Boromir, Frodo, and I sprint back into the caves. The monster tries coming after us to which I pull out my bow and join Legolas in shooting it. Rocks begin to fall from the ceiling of the cave as the creature tries to fit through the doorway. Suddenly the way becomes blocked and the monster no longer able to get in. I take a deep breath and lean down to Frodo.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"Yes, I think so," he quietly says.

Being trapped now doesn't dampen Gimli's spirit though. I keep my bow loaded as Gandalf leads us forward.