Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Iris Williams

"Are you sure it's okay for us to stay here?" I asked Haley once again as she handed me a few  more pillows. She rolled her eyes, a habit she has when she's getting annoyed.

"Of course it is, Iris. Like I told you, those people are probably waiting for you to get home before they do anything. That's what my bodyguards used to always do." she said. I sighed, I'm definitely against  the idea of us staying here, but Haley insisted.

If things were to go as she said, then it's only a matter of time before those who are trying to find me trace me here, with her. If that happens, I'll be getting Haley and Gabby in trouble and I can't allow that to happen. I would have preferred to go to a hotel, get an Airbnb, I don't know. Somewhere safe not only for me and the triplets, but somewhere where I can't drag Haley to danger.

I hugged Haley before she left the guest room, thanking her. However, she quickly slapped my arms away. She didn't like hugs, she thinks it's too cheesy. Instead, before leaving, she stopped on her track and looked back. "You guys are not hungry, right?" she asked. I smiled and shook my head no. That question was, apparently, another way of showing your affections when you're asian.

3rd POV (Somewhere else)

"What do you mean, she's not at her house?!" the man questioned furiously to his minions. They flinched at his rage and continued to look onto the ground. They messed up, they messed up big time.

"Sh--she didn't go home. We suspect that she noticed that she was being followed a-and... ran away." one of them tried to explain, his voice shaking in evident fear. Of course, in front of such a powerful man like him, who wouldn't wet their pants in fear?

Their boss slammed his glass of whiskey against his desk which startled them even more. He cursed and said something under his breath which they didn't hear, but whatever it was, it didn't sound good. He had a deadly look in his face, a look they're not too familiar with. Usually, he was calm, not easily agitated or angered. They simply couldn't understand why a woman with three kids was getting him all riled up. What could she possibly possess for him to be so impatient?

Finally, with clenched fists, the boss looked up to them. "That's how she wants to play it, huh? The running away game again? I'll catch her." he whispered with such coldness in his voice that one of them named Ramirez felt shivers down his spine. The boss looked straight towards his eyes. "You, find her and take her kids away from her." was all he said before leaving the room.

Iris Williams

I was strolling down the clothing aisle and grabbed three piece for each item that I liked. As usual, the triplets were just following me while playing their own games. Since we couldn't go home, we didn't have any clothes to change into. Haley said that she can go in our house and get us some clothes herself, but I immediately opposed to that idea. She's saved us enough trouble.

I looked back to see Jamie tagging Jace as they laughed and ran around. Jacob was suddenly holding a plane toy that he magically picked up somewhere. I smiled at the sight of them and fixed the three lion-styled pyjamas onto the stroller.

We moved on to the shoes section and I bent down to look at the other styles of shoes that there were.

"Mommy, mommy." Jamie said.

"Yes?" I answered without looking up, my attention purely focused on the different styles of shoes in front of me.

"Where is Jace?" he continued. I immediately looked at him in confusion. I looked around him and saw no sign of Jace. I stood up to get a clearer view of my surroundings, but Jace was still out of sight.

"Jace!" I screamed. I felt my heart beating faster and heavier. "Jace!" I called again. No... Jace... I grabbed Jamie and Jacob and put them on the stroller. Each second felt like a hellish eternity without Jace in sight. I screamed my eldest son's name as I pushed the stroller around the store. People started to look alarmed and threw me curious glances. I went back to the clothing aisle and searched, but he wasn't there. I hope that he's just playing a joke. I hope he's somewhere near. I hope he just got lost and I will find him soon. I went in circles around the whole store and saw no trace of my little boy.

I felt the tears mounting up, my face felt hot, my heart was beating at its fastest and I felt all my strength seeping out of my body. I started sobbing while screaming Jace's name. Jamie and Jacob looked at me worriedly and I could see that tears also threatened to fall out their eyes.

"What's wrong ma'am?" an employee came to in distress. She held my arms trying to calm me down, but the tears came streaming down uncontrollably. I tried to explain, but all my words turned into mere mumbling.

"Jace is not here. That's why mommy's sad." Jamie tried to explain to the employee. Her eyebrows furrowed, but she must have understood what he was trying to say so she grabbed her walkie-talkie from her pocket.

"This is an emergency. Lockdown the store immediately. We seem to have a missing child." she talked through the device. At this point, my legs were jello and all I could do was fall on the ground, sobbing Jace's name. "Ma'am, please calm down. I've ordered a lockdown of the whole store and soon, the whole mall too will be closed down. We'll find your son." she assured. I wanted to believe her, but all I could remember was the anonymous man's voice on the phone call yesterday. She kept repeating for me to calm down, but how could I? My child is missing.

Soon, there was a report through the intercoms talking about the situation and the reason why they were locking down the store. Many employees surrounded me, asking me what happened and all I could do was cry.