84. STEVE: All Downhill From Here pt.1

A/N: Hey! So sorry for the lack of posting. Been super, super busy lately! But I put this request together for the dear hazeleyedroleplayer, who wanted the dialogue prompt "You're not my mother" with Steve. 

I got a bit carried away with this, so I am going to have 2 parts to this! The second part will be up in the next few days after the next Bucky imagine! 

Thank you all so much! Especially hazeleyedroleplayer, who has been so patient and so sweet! Hope it's alright that you get two parts to this one :)

Lots of love,

Winnie

Words: 3.8K

Sizzling bacon grease wafts the smells of pork and oil through the morning air. The coffee just got done brewing over there in the pot by the fridge. Tired and cranky, Bucky Barnes shuffles past a chipper Steve Rogers who expertly fixes up the first meal of the day. Brown bread comes popping up out of the toaster.

"Grab that for me, would you Buck?" Steve asks over his shoulder. He's busy flipping the bacon.

Bucky grunts and does as he's told. He smacks the pieces of warm bread onto an empty plate before hurriedly pouring himself a cup of coffee. He needs to get out of here before Steve gives him something else to do.

"Grab me a cup, Barnes." Natasha beckons from the breakfast nook. She's got a Kindle reader up to her face where she reads the daily news.

"K." Bucky grunts and fetches another mug. He sees some of the frilly coffee creamer on the counter and asks, "You want some of this coconut cream pie stuff in it?"

"Seriously?" Nat raises an unamused brow. "Do I look like a middle aged housewife to you?"

"Hey—I love that stuff. It's really good. I wish International Delights would've come into my life a lot sooner," Steve says with a smile.

Nat blinks. "My point exactly." She waves a hand dismissively. "I take my coffee black, Barnes."

Someone's loud steps into the room are accompanied by a voice. "Any chance you like your men in the same way, Natty?" Sam Wilson jokes as he comes farther into the room. He's still in his pajamas because it's only a sad 6am.

Nat fights a smirk. "I don't like men, Wilson. Men like me, but I only tolerate them."

"Don't let her fool ya, she likes the green ones." Steve grins to himself cheekily while pulling the pan of bacon off of the stove. He just barely has enough time to duck when a fork comes tumbling in through the air for his head. Nat's got good aim. It's a damn good thing he's fast.

"Is this all of us?" Sam settles down into a chair. He checks his phone to see the time. They've got about two hours until they have to be loading up in the SUV. Thankfully most of them packed their gear and clothes yesterday when the mission instructions came through. This little last-minute trip is going to be a paid favor for the FBI. A few months back they'd needed the FBI's help with something big, now the Bureau wants some reps of the team to fly out to Greenland to help them out with a little something. No one really knows what. They were just told to bring cold weather clothes and snow shoes.

"Pebbles should be here," Nat says. She takes a long sip of the coffee Bucky's brought back for her and then adds, "I saw her name on the email." Of course that email hadn't mentioned the girl by her ridiculous Flintstones themed nickname. No, the world knows her by Y/N. But ever since she joined the team last year she's been known by Pebbles—all thanks to Tony, actually. She's the youngest member, which often prompts teasing, and the baby jokes were constant in the beginning. It'd been on a Sunday morning when Peter Parker was visiting—watching cartoons—that Tony decided to start calling Y/N by the name Pebbles. After that... well, it sort of just stuck.