Chapter XLI: Drifting

Lady Evangeline of Warwick

2 December, Year 32 of King Frederick V of Monrique's reign

Bordeux Castle, Bordeux

Monrique

"John, those curtains are not fully open, and there is still a bit of dust by the corner," I called out, "and Kenneth, those portraits on the wall are all askew! Did you not arrange them properly after you repainted them?"

John nodded. "My apologies, my Lady! I will get to them right away."

"The paint on the wall was still drying a few hours ago, my Lady," Kenneth answered, running towards the wall, "I will arrange those portraits now."

"Good," I smiled tersely, as I looked around, "oh, and Howard! Have you arranged all of Lord Testalt's collection of poetry on his shelves in alphabetical order?"

Howard stopped in his tracks, his arms full of books. "I thought milord Testalt preferred his books to be arranged by genre, milady?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Do you know what genres any of those books you are holding belong to?"

"Nay, milady," he admitted.

"Neither do I," I strode past him, "so just do as I say."

It was in that manner that I was hurrying back and forth across Ned's chambers, commanding the Castle staff left, right and centre. I wanted everything to be perfect. Ned was coming back to Bordeux after almost a fortnight, and I wanted to ensure -

Has the shortcrust apple pie finished baking? I should go to the kitchens and check its progress -

"Goodness, slow down, my little hurricane," a pair of arms stopped me by the shoulders before I could reach the door, "and breathe. Your face is extremely red."

Panting slightly, I glanced up to find my sister-in-law, Lady Alyssa of Louvre, beaming at me. Her emerald eyes were twinkling with amusement, as they regarded me at the moment.

"I would ask if you need any help, but everything seems to be running smoothly here," she remarked, "do not fret so much, Evie. Now come with me to my chambers. You need to sit down, and have a glass of water in peace."

Before I could protest, she looped her arm in mine and dragged me out of Ned's chambers.

I pushed a stray curl behind my ear, as I walked with her. "Lisa, do I look all right?" I asked her anxiously, "my hair - "

"You look adorable," she cooed, pinching my cheeks.

"Lisa!" I whined, as we climbed down the stairs, "what I meant was, do I look sufficiently presentable to welcome Ned? He must be reaching Bordeux soon - "

Lisa burst into laughter, when we reached her chambers. "Aye, aye, little one, you look presentable. A new gown that matches your eyes perfectly - one that I selected for you, if I may remind you - some jewellery, neatly braided hair, a beautiful countenance, and of course, that blinding smile," she listed with a grin, "anything else I might have missed?"

I chuckled, as she led me into her rooms, and sat me down on one of the chairs near her tea table. She reached for the jug of water on her bedside table, poured me a glass, and pushed it firmly into my hands.

"I am a little nervous, I am afraid," I was sheepish, as I sipped on the glass of water, "I have not seen Ned in so long. Do you think he would have missed me as much as I have missed him?"

"Well, surely you would know that better than me," she pointed out, amused, sitting across me, "he has been sending you letters every couple of days, has he not?"