CHAPTER 5

*** 

Miranda stood  before the pantry, exasperated.
Mother had told her that there was enough flour and milk to make bread, but now she stared into the empty darkness.

Muttering to herself, she left the kitchen in a hurry. She picked up her white shawl and tied it around her chocolate locks,  picking up her beautiful green basket, which had been woven with intrinsic designs, she set to leave for the market.

As she was about to leave through the front door, she remembered that she hadn't told her mother,that she was leaving. She turn on her heels and went straight to her mother's bedroom.

On reaching there, she saw the door slightly open. She was about to push open the door and enter,  when she recalled her mother's warning, when she was five.

"Miranda dear, whenever you need me,and i am in my room, always remember to knock before entering. I do not like surprises at all they get me very jittery."

Miranda knocked softly on the wooden door.

        Maria who was holding a silver necklace, quickly shoved it under her bedding. She straightened up, and said softly.

"Come on in". As Miranda came into view, Maria smiled thinly at her.
   " Good morning mother, how did you sleep". 

Miranda, moved to adjust the blankets, as Maria tentatively eyed the spot in which she'd hidden the jewelry.

  "My night was a troubled one child, I'm afraid I think I've caught the flu". She sniffles mildly.
  Miranda moved to her side, and held her arm.

"Oh mother! I'll go get you some herbs from the market. And I'll also make some soup."

  Maria smiled. "You don't have to do all that".

  " I'll do that and more. Okay! I'll see you soon, there's warm water in the hearth, if you need it".

Maria smiled and gave her a kiss on her cheeks  "Thank you my dear".
Miranda picked up her basket and was on her way to the market  in no time.
Maria looked at her disappearing form, from the window and whispered under her breath.

"You're a jewel my dear, you just don't know it. "

             As Miranda neared the market, she noticed that something wasn't right, she needed to ask someone what was going on.

Looking  around for any familiar face, she saw Estelle.  Miranda was about to call her attention, when she stopped and took a closer look at the sight before her. It was truly hilarious.

          Estelle was crouched on the ground with her backside up in the air. She was hiding behind big heavy boulders, peeping through a little opening by the side. Miranda wanted to laugh, but she held on and gingerly approached an obviously frightened Estelle.

"What in Gods name are you doing?" Miranda asked whilst amused.

Estelle turned with a yelp.
     "I'm hiding from those men".
Miranda looked at the uniformed men who were scouting the place and talking to some buyers and sellers.

  " Those are soldiers dummy! Don't you know that?"

  "I know who they are." Estelle whispered.

  "Why are you even whispering?" Miranda asked puzzled.

Estelle beckoned to her to come closer. "These men are in search of a peculiar girl with green eyes. Look at my eyes! They are green, I just might be the one, so that's why I'm hiding".

Miranda shook her head and laughed.

" You aren't the only girl with green eyes, there are so many other girls with such eyes around here and besides, what did you do for them to want you?".

Estelle nodded her small head like she understood what Miranda was saying.

"Oh yes, yes I know honey, that's why you better go hide those beautiful eyes of yours, just like I'm doing and I didn't do anything at all except take pa Michaels walking stick".
She  muttered  under her breath as she returned to her crouching position.

  Miranda folded her hands and rolled her eyes in defeat, the girl was not the brightest amongst the bunch.

  "Well, I'll see you around , just stay outta trouble! And keep that rump straight, you just might give some of the men here a wrong impression!".

She turned around and headed towards her destination, as she heard Estelle say.
    "Its about time I create an impression! Don't ya think?".

  Miranda shook her head and sauntered away.
"Stupid girl". She said to no one's hearing.

Thanks for reading!

Please remember to vote👍
And drop👇 your comments.
I appreciate you all.👏
😘