Chapter 15

"Didn't your duel take place somewhere here?" Alice asked Theodore.

"Yes, the place is not very far," he replied.

"I can't believe I missed your duel and literally everyone else witnessed it," Rosalyn grumbled.

"What if I take you to that spot?" Her husband grinned mischievously.

"Yes, please do," Rosa squealed, already on her feet.

"See? That was more subtle, wasn't it?" Ralph smirked at Alice once they were alone.

"What was?" Her brows wrinkled in confusion.

Ralph signalled to Theodore's retreating back meaningfully.

Alice turned, blinked and then her eyes widened.

"He's trying to marry us off too?!"

"Looks like it," Ralph shrugged.

"It's a good thing we're alone," she said.

"Is it, indeed?" he lowered his voice to a seductive murmur.

"Oh it's about Sir Bates, silly," she swatted his arm.

"What about him?" Ralph sat up straighter, his eyes turning hard. The playful man gone.

"I met him this morning."

"Why?"

"Because he was inside my house, my father does business with him, remember?" She rolled her eyes.

"And?"

"And he mentioned that Bender was missing."

Ralph smiled his satisfaction.

"What did you do, Ralph?"

"Nothing," he murmured, brushing off the nonexistent lint off his coat, not looking at her.

"Ralph..." she said warningly, her eyes narrowed to slits.

"Let it be, will you?" His voice brooked no argument.

"Fine," she huffed, deciding she didn't want to know the sordid details anyway.

"Did he say anything else?"

"No, but I am going on a walk with him tomorrow, I'm sure I'll learn something then."

"You're not going anywhere with that cretin."

"And I should listen to you because?"

"Goddamnit woman! Why can't you heed me for once?" He shouted.

It was a wrong move because her eyes turned to slits again.

When would he learn, Ralph thought to himself.

There was only one way to convince Alice and he was certain that he would more than enjoy it.

He crawled over to her, not stopping until she had no choice but to lie back slightly. She was confused by the sudden shift in his mood.

Good, he thought.

"You drive me mad," he whispered into her ear, forgetting that this was only a way to ensure her acquiescence. She always did this to him.

"What are you doing?" she whispered back, her beautiful green eyes wide with reproach and anticipation.

"I wish to kiss you, Alice. Would you let me?"

She was already on her back now and Ralph was holding himself up on his hands, waiting for her answer.

"It's not right," she said, distressed. And Ralph knew he was half way there to winning her permission.