Departure

"Mrs. Weasley, this is divine!" Hermione exclaimed as she took another bite of the delectable treacle tart. Mrs. Weasley smiled.

"Oh Hermione! You must stop flattering me. First the book and now this." Hermione smiled at Mrs. Weasley. although her voice was stern, Mrs. Weasley had a smile playing on her lips.

"Hermione is right, Mrs. Weasley. This dessert is quite amazing," Harry said from across the table. Mrs. Weasley turned away to hide her smile.

"I think you two are her favorite children," Ron muttered. "And you're not even related to us!" Hermione and Harry laughed. They both shared a look. They were both really happy to have the old Ron back.

After dinner, Hermione went up to her and Ginny's room while Ron and Harry went up to theirs. Ginny and Hermione continued to talk about boys while they got ready to go to sleep.

"So, Hermione. Ron seemed to be in a better mood. I mean, he was talking and everything!" Hermione and Ginny giggled.

"Harry and I think it's because we're going back to Hogwarts. Even though Ron doesn't want to admit it, I think he's excited." Ginny nodded in agreement.

"Yeah. He started acting better when you got those letters."

"I'm curious," Hermione started. "Has Ron been distant all summer?" Ginny shrugged.

"Yeah. Kind of. He was sort of moody. But, and don't take this the wrong way, he started acting colder when you showed up." Hermione gasped.

"So he's mad at me?" Hermione exclaimed. Ginny shushed her.

"Quiet! I don't want Ron to hear our conversation. It might make him even more moody," Ginny whispered. "If that's possible," she added. Hermione and Ginny stared at each other for a few seconds before bursting into laughter.

"Let's get to bed. We have to probably get up early tomorrow to shop for books." Ginny nodded and got into her bed. Hermione got in bed. Hermione! You forgot to turn off the lights!" Hermione arched a brow.

"Have you forgotten that we live in a community full of wizards and witches?" Hermione asked sarcastically. Ginny laughed.

"I actually have!" Hermione and Ginny giggled. Then, with a wave of her wand, Hermione turned off the lights.

For the next few days, everyone went shopping for books and supplies. Harry got a new owl as a gift from Mrs. and Mr. Weasley. The morning when it was time to go to Hogwarts was hectic. Everyone was gathering their last belongings and making sure they had everything. Finally it was time to go. The Weasley family, Harry, and Hermione all flooed over to King's Cross Station. They all gave their hugs and kisses goodbyes and Ginny, Ron, Harry, and Hermione all boarded the train.

On the train, Ginny went over to a compartment with Luna because Mcgonagall wanted all of the eighth years together in a larger compartment. In the compartment, they found eighth years from all houses. Well, technically, there were no houses but whatever. The people from Gryffindor were Dean Thomas, Neville Longbottom, and Parvati Patil. The ones from Ravenclaw were Trevor Boot and Padma Patil. The ones from Hufflepuff were Susan Bones, Zacharias Smith, and Hannah Abbott. Last, and definitely the least, the ones from Slytherin were Blaise Zabini, Theodore Nott, Pansy Parkinson, and, sadly, Draco Malfoy.

Neville was the first to greet them. "Hermione! Harry! Ron!" Neville shouted. "So nice to see you again." Hermione smiled.

"Great to see you all too!" Hermione replied. Hermione glared at Malfoy and the other Slytherins but she refrained from saying anything.

"What is is, Granger? Aren't you going to say, 'Except you guys' or something?" Hermione frowned.

"Well, since we're all going to be staying together, we might as well try to get along." Draco only rolled his eyes. Harry, Ron, and Hermione sat next to the people from Gryffindor. Hermione noticed that some of the other Slytherins seemed to be keeping their distance from Draco. This made Hermione arch a brow, but she eventually ignored it and dropped the thought.

"So, are you guys excited to go back?" Hannah Abbott asked excitedly. Hermione nodded vigorously while some of the other people just slightly nodded. Draco, on the other hand, rolled his eyes dramatically.

"No! Who would be excited about going back to school? Except Granger." Hermione blushed slightly.

"If you hate the idea so much, then why are you returning?" Padma asked.

"My mother." Everyone in the compartment raised their eyebrows questionably.

When Draco didn't continue, Neville asked, "And what about her?"

"She made me come." Everyone exchanged confused glances.

"Your mother doesn't seem to be the type to make you come back to school," Pansy suggested. Draco shrugged halfheartedly.

"My father is being put in Azkaban and the authorities are considering the Demetor's Kiss." Everyone gasped. "My mother doesn't want me to be home if they decide to go through with it." Draco's eyes fell to the ground. He hated to feel vulnerable like this.

"Oh, Draco. I'm so sorry," Hermione whispered. She reached out to touch his hand. No matter how much she hated Draco, she couldn't imagine the pain that he was going through. But Draco snatched his hand away.

"I don't need your pity, Mudblood!" Draco shouted. Harry and Ron made a move to stand, but Hermione held them back.

"Remember what we always say," Hermione whispered quietly, in an attempt for Draco not to hear her. "He's not worth it." Draco knew that he wasn't supposed to hear her, but he heard her loud and clear. He slumped back in his seat and sighed. This was surely going to be a long year. Especially if none of his friends even liked him. Most of them still hadn't forgiven him for the war. Although he wasn't sure if they were mad because he left them to die when he walked over to Voldemort's side, or if he kind of took Potter's side. No matter what the reason, though, they were still mad.