Chapter 50 - He Has No Empathy

Flashlight - Jessie J
Beautiful song.

"Have you lost your mind?" Asher yells and it echoes throughout the house.

"She hasn't, Ashford, she merely-" Daniel is interrupted by a very pissed off Asher.

"You don't get to say a word, you psycho. Threatening to kill a person just for your godamned reputation," Asher said, glaring at him.

"Well, yes," Daniel answered, smugly. "That's about right."

"You piece of shit!" Asher yelled, grabbing his collar.

"Uh-uh, lover boy. Don't forget Cassandra is still my target," Daniel replied, maintaining his calm attitude.

But Asher continued trying to strangle him.

"Let's see how smug your pretty face's gonna be after a few punches, yeah?"

"Asher, stop," I said. "Stop."

And when his eyes meet my tear filled ones, all the anger and the rage diminishes into helplessness.

"You can't go with this douche. You just can't," Asher pleaded.

"But I can't let go of Cass either, can I?" I replied, looking at him.

Asher gritted his teeth, glaring daggers at Daniel.

I remained silent, trying to absorb the fact that I had just agreed to be his wife.

"Come on, hon, we don't have the entire day," Daniel said. "Pack your stuff, I'll call up transportation."

"How dare you order her around? How dare you?" Asher yells.

"Give me fifteen minutes," I say and quickly walk towards my room, trying to ignore the crack in my voice or the tears streaming down my face.

"Jess, wait," Asher says, attempting to follow me but I quickly lock myself in my room.

I don't need him to tell me the obvious.

My life is fucked up.

And once I'm all alone in my room, the dam finally breaks.

When Daniel showed that image of Cass with a person targeting to shoot her, my first reaction was 'Oh hell no'. I was ready to knock this Daniel out of his senses and send him to the very hospital I work in as a patient.

But I realised how underpowered I am compared to him. Even if me and Asher could take him, knock him out, perhaps, what then? Eventually we'll have to let go of him and he'll do it all again. Maybe even target Asher.

And calling the police? Pointless. He's much too rich to be arrested without solid evidence and I've got nothing. Maybe in the future I can conspire against him, but right now my priority is Cass and no one else. She can't die because of my personal issues.

"Jess?" I hear Asher's voice from the other side of the door.

But I don't reply. I can't. I don't know what to say.