25.

Italics: Aspen
Bold: Kenneth

"Tell me one thing."

"What?"

"Is Shane always like that?"

Aspen tore her gaze away from the trees passing by them and just stared at Kenneth's side face.

He had his jaw clenched like he was not really ready for the answer. Like he wouldn't care to think of anything if what he speculated turned out to be true. And Aspen was scared because of that.

"Not always. There are good days." She said, looking out of the window again.

"That son of a bi-"

"Kenneth." Aspen stopped him from speaking, while glaring at his face. "You must know better than anyone that he doesn't have a mother."

Kenneth froze for a moment before closing his eyes and cursing himself. "I'm sorry."

Aspen knew that Kenneth was angry. She understood that but he really should know how to control it.

Aspen had an idea how Shane and Kenneth knew each other. Of course they were rivals in everything they did but their families were close. Shane's father was Kenneth's godfather and sad to say, he favoured Kenneth more than his own son. So how much Shane bullied her, she could not help but feel sorry for the insecure guy inside the bullying everyone saw.

"You know, I can tell what you're thinking." Kenneth spoke, making Aspen look at him again.

"You do?"

"When I saw you with Shane earlier, you looked scared but you kind of wanted to let him do whatever he wanted because you could feel his frustrations. You probably feel sorry for him, right?"

"Impressive." Aspen said and looked out again, her eyes twitching a little. It was pathetic but she really was sorry for the guy.

"But that doesn't mean you can let him do anything, Aspen. Please don't do that again. I don't want you hurt."

"I won't."

"Good."

"Where are you taking me anyways? We're pretty much far from home."

"It's just a place I found. I was planning to go there alone after the match but then decided to bring you along."

"So you're slowly letting me in your secrets?" Aspen couldn't help but ask. She was curious about him after the dinner after all.

Kenneth sighed. "I don't want to hurt but I figured if it's you, I'll be alright."

Aspen looked at the boy beside her. What could be that he was not willing to tell her?

She decided to keep silent after that, not meaning to make her think unpleasant thoughts now. After exactly five minutes, Kenneth stopped the car in front of a large tree overlooking the lake. Now that it was evening, the rays of the setting sun fell gently on the water giving it a magnificent orange glow. It was beautiful.

"How did you find this place?" Aspen asked, when they got out of the car and faced the calming scene in front of them.

"I was angry and rebellious once." He smiled nostalgically. "I did not even have a driving license then but I stole my dad's car and just drove around aimlessly until I reached here. Later when I reached home, I did not seem that angry anymore so I came over here whenever I could. It has been quite a while when I last came here."